Market entry into emerging two-sided markets
AbstractThis note analyzes the impact of indirect network effects in emerging two-sided markets on prices, quantities, profits and market entry assuming market enlargement induced by indirect network effects. Only if indirect network effects are small, the conventional results of market entry apply, although weakened. If, however, the interconnection between the markets is strong, tighter market structures or even monopolies can be optimal.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 32 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Market entry; two-sided markets; emerging markets.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L0 - Industrial Organization - - General
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ettore Damiano & Li Hao, 2008.
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 6(4), pages 789-818, 06.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & LAUSSEL, Didier & SONNAC, Nathalie, .
"Programming and advertising competition in the broadcasting industry,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1873, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jean J. Gabszewicz & Didier Laussel & Nathalie Sonnac, 2004. "Programming and Advertising Competition in the Broadcasting Industry," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(4), pages 657-669, December.
- Claude Crampes & Carole Haritchabalet & Bruno Jullien, 2005.
"Advertising, Competition and Entry in Media Industries,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1591, CESifo Group Munich.
- Crampes, Claude & Haritchabalet, Carole & Jullien, Bruno, 2006. "Advertising, Competition and Entry in Media Industries," IDEI Working Papers 374, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Caillaud, Bernard & Jullien, Bruno, 2003. " Chicken & Egg: Competition among Intermediation Service Providers," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(2), pages 309-28, Summer.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.