Capacity choice in a mixed duopoly with a foreign competitor
AbstractThis paper analyzes a mixed duopoly in which a public firm and a (possibly partially) foreign-owned firm choose their capacity scales before competing in quantities. We show that the private firm chooses over-capacity, as in previous literature, except if it is completely foreign-owned. In this polar case, the private firm chooses the cost-minimizing capacity scale. We also show that the change in the nationality of the private firm does not essentially alter the public firm's choice, since this firm chooses under-capacity if products are substitutes and over-capacity if they are complements, just as it does when it faces a domestic competitor.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 32 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Mixed Oligopoly; Capacity Choice; Foreign Firm; Public Firm;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
- L3 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lu, Yuanzhu & Poddar, Sougata, 2005.
"Mixed oligopoly and the choice of capacity,"
Research in Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 59(4), pages 365-374, December.
- Yuanzhu Lu & Sougata Poddar, 2004. "Mixed oligopoly and the choice of capacity," CEMA Working Papers, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics 495, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Wen, Mei & Sasaki, Dan, 2001. "Would Excess Capacity in Public Firms Be Socially Optimal?," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 77(238), pages 283-90, September.
- Wang, Leonard F.S. & Chen, Tai-Liang, 2011. "Mixed oligopoly, optimal privatization, and foreign penetration," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 1465-1470, July.
- Dave Furth & Dan Kovenock, 1993.
"Price leadership in a duopoly with capacity constraints and product differentiation,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 57(1), pages 1-35, February.
- Furth, D. & Kovenock, D., 1990. "Price Leadership In A Duopoly With Capacity Constraints And Product Differentiation," Purdue University Economics Working Papers 992, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.