Effect Of Firm Innovation On Labour Force Composition: The Case Of Italian Manufacturing
AbstractThis paper investigates the causal relationship between innovation and labour force reallocation within the firm, measured as the share of white collar workers. To the extent that intra-firm reallocation can be considered as a substitute for inter-firms and sectors reallocations, innovation activity can be effective in hampering immigration flows from lagging regions to the richest ones. Using data on 5,000 Italian manufacturing firms we provide evidence that where sizable migration flow of graduated people took place the innovation process was not effective in increasing the requirement of high-skill workers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 32 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
innovation; labour force composition; white collars; propensity score matching;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O3 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
- L2 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matteo Bugamelli & Fabiano Schivardi & Roberta Zizza, 2008.
"The Euro and Firm Restructuring,"
NBER Working Papers
14454, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Fabiano Schivardi & Roberta Zizza, 2009. "The euro and firm restructuring," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 716, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Fabiano Schivardi & Roberta Zizza, . "The euro and firm restructuring," Working Papers 10, Department of the Treasury, Ministry of the Economy and of Finance.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Fabiano Schivardi & Roberta Zizza, 2010. "The euro and Firm Restructuring," Working Papers CELEG 1001, Dipartimento di Economia e Finanza, LUISS Guido Carli.
- Bugamelli, Matteo & Schivardi, Fabiano & Zizza, Roberta, 2010. "The Euro and Firm Restructuring," CEPR Discussion Papers 7623, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alessandro STERLACCHINI, 1996.
"Inputs and Outputs of Innovative Activities in Italian Manufacturing,"
78, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Alessandro Sterlacchini, 1998. "Inputs And Outputs Of Innovative Activities In Italian Manufacturing," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 7(4), pages 323-344.
- Rajeev H. Dehejia & Sadek Wahba, 2002.
"Propensity Score-Matching Methods For Nonexperimental Causal Studies,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 151-161, February.
- Rajeev H. Dehejia & Sadek Wahba, 2002. "Propensity score matching methods for non-experimental causal studies," Discussion Papers 0102-14, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Dehejia, R.H. & Wahba, S., 1998. "Propensity Score Matching Methods for Non-Experimental Causal Studies," Discussion Papers 1998_02, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Rajeev H. Dehejia & Sadek Wahba, 1998. "Propensity Score Matching Methods for Non-experimental Causal Studies," NBER Working Papers 6829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sergio De Nardis & Marco Ventura, 2010. "The Effects of Product Dropping on Firm's Productivity and Employment Composition," ISAE Working Papers 127, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Mita Bhattacharya & Harry Bloch, 2004. "Determinants of Innovation," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 155-162, 03.
- Zimmermann, Klaus F, 1987. "Trade and Dynamic Efficiency," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 73-87.
- Paul L. Robertson & David Jacobson & Richard N. Langlois, 2008. "Innovation Processes and Industrial Districts," Working papers 2008-03, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.