Sustainability of public debt: Some theoretical considerations
AbstractThis paper elaborates on the relationship between sustainability of public debt and the debt to GDP ratio in case the interest rate on public debt exceeds the growth rate of GDP. When the primary surplus relative to GDP positively reacts to a higher debt to GDP ratio, a bounded debt to GDP ratio guarantees sustainability. Further, an unbounded debt to GDP ratio is not compatible with sustainability, even if the primary surplus relative to GDP strictly rises as the debt to GDP ratio increases. Finally, sustainability is excluded if the initial debt to GDP ratio exceeds a critical threshold.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 31 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Public Debt; Primary Surplus; Inter-temporal Budget Constraint; Sustainability;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H6 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt
- E6 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonio Afonso, 2004.
"Fiscal Sustainability: the Unpleasant European Case,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004
57, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- António Afonso, 2005. "Fiscal Sustainability: The Unpleasant European Case," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 61(1), pages 19-, March.
- António Afonso, 2005.
"Ricardian Fiscal Regimes in the European Union,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
2005/18, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Stanley Fischer, 1989. "Lectures on Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262022834, December.
- Niklas Potrafke & Markus Reischmann, 2012.
"Fiscal Equalization Schemes and Fiscal Sustainability,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3948, CESifo Group Munich.
- Niklas Potrafke & Markus Reischmann, 2012. "Fiscal Equalization Schemes and Fiscal Sustainability," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 141, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Greiner Alfred, 2013. "How to test for debt sustainability? Some theoretical reflections on an empirical test," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(3), pages 2357-2364.
- Greiner, Alfred, 2012. "Public debt in a basic endogenous growth model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 1344-1348.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.