Infectious disease outbreak and trade policy formulation
AbstractThis paper provides a framework to understand why a country might resort to a policy like an import ban when at risk from infectious disease outbreak overseas. Superior import-competing domestic production technologies, and over-reliance on taxing the public for government revenue, could lead to blocked trade. The results of the two-country political economy model lend support to the wide use of public health interventions to minimize infections, and highlight their role in promoting open trade policies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 31 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Trade openness; infectious disease outbreak;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F0 - International Economics - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. Christopher Auld, 1996.
"Choices, Beliefs, and Infectious Disease Dynamics,"
Working Papers, Queen's University, Department of Economics
938, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Klein, Eili & Laxminarayan, Ramanan & Smith, David L. & Gilligan, Christopher A., 2007. "Economic incentives and mathematical models of disease," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(05), pages 707-732, October.
- Mark Gersovitz & Jeffrey S. Hammer, 2003. "Infectious Diseases, Public Policy, and the Marriage of Economics and Epidemiology," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, World Bank Group, vol. 18(2), pages 129-157.
- Chakraborty, Shankha & Papageorgiou, Chris & Pérez Sebastián, Fidel, 2010.
"Diseases, infection dynamics, and development,"
Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 57(7), pages 859-872, October.
- Chris Papageorgiou & Fidel Pérez Sebastián & Shankha Chakraborty, 2010. "Diseases, infection dynamics and development," Working Papers. Serie AD, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones EconÃ³micas, S.A. (Ivie) 2010-28, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Momota, Akira & Tabata, Ken & Futagami, Koichi, 2005. "Infectious disease and preventive behavior in an overlapping generations model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 1673-1700, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.