Gender based intra-household inequality of opportunity in academic skills among Indian children
AbstractUsing households with a pair of male-female siblings (aged 8-11 years) from a nationally representative survey, the paper estimates gender based intra-household inequality of opportunity in academic skills by comparing test scores of the siblings in reading and mathematics skills within each household. The study finds substantial level of gender based intra-household inequality in both the skills. The paper also estimates household fixed-effects models for reading and mathematics skills, and finds significant difference between male and female children with female children at a disadvantaged position. Further support for gender differential (bias against female children) is provided by the analysis of the expenses incurred by households on the education of their children, which shows that the educational expenditure on female children is substantially lower than that on male children.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 31 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Gender; Intra-household; Inequality of Opportunity; Academic Skills;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Trannoy, A & Tubeuf, S & Jusot, F & Devaux, M, 2008.
"Inequality in Opportunities in Health in France: A first pass,"
Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers
08/24, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Alain Trannoy & Sandy Tubeuf & Florence Jusot & Marion Devaux, 2010. "Inequality of opportunities in health in France: a first pass," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(8), pages 921-938, August.
- Trannoy, Alain & Tubeuf, Sandy & Jusot, Florence & Devaux, Marion, 2010. "Inequality of Opportunities in Health in France: A First Pass," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/268, Paris Dauphine University.
- Foster, James E. & Shneyerov, Artyom A., 2000. "Path Independent Inequality Measures," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 199-222, April.
- Ashish Singh, 2011.
"Inequality of Opportunity in Indian Children: The Case of Immunization and Nutrition,"
Population Research and Policy Review,
Springer, vol. 30(6), pages 861-883, December.
- Singh, Ashish, 2010. "Inequality of opportunity in Indian children: the case of immunization and nutrition," MPRA Paper 32505, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daniele Checchi & Vito Peragine & Laura Serlenga, 2010.
"Fair and unfair income inequalities in Europe,"
174, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Daniele Checchi & Vito Peragine & Laura Serlenga, 2010. "Fair and unfair income inequalities in Europe," CHILD Working Papers wp06_10, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Checchi, Daniele & Peragine, Vito & Serlenga, Laura, 2010. "Fair and Unfair Income Inequalities in Europe," IZA Discussion Papers 5025, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Francois Bourguignon & Francisco H.B. Ferreira & Marta Menéndez, 2005.
"Inequality of Opportunity in Brazil,"
Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers
133, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Singh, Ashish, 2010. "Inequality of opportunity in India," MPRA Paper 32971, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Asadullah, M. Niaz & Yalonetzky, Gaston, 2012.
"Inequality of Educational Opportunity in India: Changes Over Time and Across States,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1151-1163.
- Asadullah, Niaz & Yalonetzky, Gaston, 2010. "Inequality of Educational Opportunity in India: Changes over Time and across States," IZA Discussion Papers 5146, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pedro Rosa Dias, 2009. "Inequality of opportunity in health: evidence from a UK cohort study," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(9), pages 1057-1074.
- Borooah, Vani K., 2004.
"Gender bias among children in India in their diet and immunisation against disease,"
Social Science & Medicine,
Elsevier, vol. 58(9), pages 1719-1731, May.
- Borooah, Vani, 2004. "Gender Bias Among Children in India in their Diet and Immunisation Against Disease," MPRA Paper 19590, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ferreira , Francisco H. G. & Gignoux, Jeremie, 2008.
"The measurement of inequality of opportunity : theory and an application to Latin America,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4659, The World Bank.
- Francisco H. G. Ferreira & Jérémie Gignoux, 2011. "The Measurement Of Inequality Of Opportunity: Theory And An Application To Latin America," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 57(4), pages 622-657, December.
- Denis Cogneau & Thomas Bossuroy & Philippe De Vreyer & Charlotte Guénard & Victor Hiller & Phillippe Leite & Sandrine Mesplé-Somps & Laure Pasquier-Doumer & Constance Torelli, 2006. "Inequalities and equity in Africa," Working Papers DT/2006/11, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Daniele Checchi & Vito Peragine, 2010. "Inequality of opportunity in Italy," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 429-450, December.
- Ashish Singh, 2011. "Family background, academic ability and associated inequality of opportunity in India," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(2), pages 1463-1473.
- Desai, Sonalde & Dubey, Amaresh & Joshi, Brij Lal & Sen, Mitali & Sharif, Abusaleh & Vanneman, Reeve, 2010. "Human Development in India: Challenges for a Society in Transition," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198065128, Octomber.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.