European sovereign debt crisis and linkage of long-term government bond yields
AbstractBased on the robust cross-correlation function approach developed by Hong (2001), this paper investigates the causality-in-mean and the causality-in-variance of long-term bond yields in seven countries including “PIIGS” (Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece, and Spain), Germany, and France. A main contribution of the study is to assess the impacts of the recent European sovereign debt crisis on relationships of the bond yields. We find some evidence of the mean spillover effects, especially from Portugal and France before the crisis and from Portugal and Italy after the crisis. In contrast, the variance spillover effects from Germany interestingly strengthened through the debt crisis in particular despite the apparent lack of its mean transmission effects, whilst major sources of volatility spillover effects had been Portugal and France prior to the crisis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 31 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Volatility spillover; European sovereign debt crisis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vítor Caldeirinha & J. Augusto Felício & Andreia Dionísio, 2013. "Effect of the container terminal characteristics on performance," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2013_13, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Renatas Kizys & Christian Pierdzioch, 2011. "Contagious speculative bubbles: A note on the Greek sovereign debt crisis," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(4), pages A296.
- Takashi Miyazaki & Shigeyuki Hamori, 2013. "Testing for causality between the gold return and stock market performance: evidence for ‘gold investment in case of emergency’," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(1), pages 27-40, January.
- Xu, Haifeng & Hamori, Shigeyuki, 2012. "Dynamic linkages of stock prices between the BRICs and the United States: Effects of the 2008–09 financial crisis," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 344-352.
- Stolbov, Mikhail, 2014. "The causal linkages between sovereign CDS prices for the BRICS and major European economies," Economics Discussion Papers 2014-9, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Paulo Horta, 2013. "Contagion Effects in the European Nyse Euronext Stock Markets in the Context of the 2010 Sovereign Debt Crisis," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2013_12, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.