Wavelet packet transforms analysis applied to carbon prices
AbstractThis paper deals with carbon price variations using a multi time scale decomposition based on the theory of wavelets. Our approach is based on wavelet packet transforms. This original approach enables us to identify that the periods which contribute the most to EUA spot, EUA futures, and CER futures price variations are February-April 2008, October-November 2008, and the recent 2009-2011 business cycle which correspond to major institutional uncertainties and changes in macroeconomic fundamentals. This wavelet decomposition therefore provides additional evidence on the drivers of carbon prices being institutional events and economic activity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 31 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Carbon Price; EUA; CER; Wavelet;
Other versions of this item:
- Chevallier, Julien, 2011. "Wavelet packet transforms analysis applied to carbon prices," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6515, Paris Dauphine University.
- C1 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General
- Q4 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ombao, Hernando & von Sachs, Rainer & Guo, Wensheng, 2005. "SLEX Analysis of Multivariate Nonstationary Time Series," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 519-531, June.
- Haibin Wu, 2006. "Wavelet Estimation of Time Series Regression with Long Memory Processes," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(33), pages 1-10.
- Yogo, Motohiro, 2008. "Measuring business cycles: A wavelet analysis of economic time series," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 208-212, August.
- Emilie Alberola & Julien Chevallier, 2009.
"European Carbon Prices and Banking Restrictions: Evidence from Phase I (2005-2007),"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 51-80.
- Emilie Alberola & Julien Pierre Chevallier, 2007. "European carbon prices and banking restrictions: evidence from phase I (2005-2007)," EconomiX Working Papers 2007-32, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Hernando Ombao & Jonathan Raz & Rainer von Sachs & Wensheng Guo, 2002. "The SLEX Model of a Non-Stationary Random Process," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 54(1), pages 171-200, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.