A note on concavity, homogeneity and non-Increasing returns to scale
AbstractThis paper provides a simple proof of the result that if a production function is homogeneous, displays non-increasing returns to scale, is increasing and quasiconcave, then it is concave. If the function is strictly quasiconcave or one-to-one, homogeneous, displays decreasing returns to scale and if either it is increasing or if zero is in its domain, then it is strictly concave. Finally it is shown that we cannot dispense with these assumptions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 31 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Homogeneity; Concavity; Non-Increasing Returns to Scale and Production Function;
Other versions of this item:
- Prada-Sarmiento, Juan David, 2010. "A note on concavity, homogeneity and non-increasing returns to scale," MPRA Paper 27499, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- C6 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling
- D2 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Friedman, James W, 1973. "Concavity of Production Functions and Non-Increasing Returns to Scale," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 41(5), pages 981-84, September.
- Ardeshir Dalal, 2000. "Strict concavity with homogeneity and decreasing returns to scale," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 28(3), pages 381-382, September.
- Bone, John, 1989. "A Note on Concavity and Scalar Properties in Production," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 213-17, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.