Modeling the volatility of Mediterranean stock markets: a regime-switching approach
AbstractIn this paper we use the Markov regime-switching model to investigate the volatility behavior of six Mediterranean stock markets (France, Spain, Greece, Egypt, Tunisia, and Turkey) over the turbulent period 1995-2010. Our results show strong evidence of regime shifts in each of these markets. We also find that the Mediterranean developed markets are less affected by international market events such as Asian and Russian financial crisis than emerging markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 31 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Stock return volatility; Markov regime-switching model; Mediterranean stock markets;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lagoarde-Segot, Thomas & Lucey, Brian M., 2007. "International portfolio diversification: Is there a role for the Middle East and North Africa?," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 401-416, December.
- Cristi SPULBAR & Mihai NITOI & Cristian STANCIU, 2012. "Identifying The Industry Business Cycle Using The Markov Switching Approach In Central And Eastern Europe," Management and Marketing Journal, University of Craiova, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Craiova, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, vol. 0(2), pages 293-300, November.
- Chkili, Walid & Nguyen, Duc Khuong, 2014.
"Exchange rate movements and stock market returns in a regime-switching environment: Evidence for BRICS countries,"
Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 46-56.
- Walid Chkili & Duc Khuong Nguyen, 2014. "Exchange rate movements and stock market returns in a regime-switching environment: Evidence for BRICS countries," Working Papers, Department of Research, Ipag Business School 2014-388, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.