Governance and Foreign Aid in ASIAN Countries
AbstractThis paper examines the determinants of flow of foreign aid in the 20 ASIAN countries in a panel framework. The model includes the foreign aid, foreign direct investment, six measures of governance, along with the purely economic variables which have been taken as control variables. Estimation analysis was carried out by using pooled annual time series data from 2002 to 2008 in the framework of fixed and random effect model. Relevance of GMM (1991) and GMM (1998) estimates were also evaluated. We find that there is strong evidence of significantly positive impact of past year's aid flow and regulatory quality on the current year's aid flow while significantly negative impact of exports of goods and services, political stability and control over corruption on the current year's aid flow, weak evidence of the negative impact of population, voice and accountability, and rule of law on the current year's aid flow and weak evidence of significantly positive impact of government effectiveness on the current year's aid flow.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 31 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Foreign Aid; Governance; Panel Data; Generalized Method of Moments;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C3 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables
- G3 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aviral Kumar Tiwari, 2010. "Corporate governance and economic growth," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(4), pages 2825-2841.
- Anderson, James E. & Marcouiller, S.J. Douglas, 1997.
"Trade and Security, I: Anarchy,"
Working Paper Series
477, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Gould, David M. & Gruben, William C., 1996. "The role of intellectual property rights in economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 323-350, March.
- Aviral Kumar Tiwari, 2011. "Tourism, Exports and FDI as a Means of Growth: Evidence from four Asian Countries," Romanian Economic Journal, Department of International Business and Economics from the Academy of Economic Studies Bucharest, vol. 14(40), pages 131-151, June.
- Noor-e-Saher, 2011. "Impact of Oil Prices on Economic Growth and Exports Earning: In the Case of Pakistan and India," Romanian Economic Journal, Department of International Business and Economics from the Academy of Economic Studies Bucharest, vol. 14(40), pages 117-151, June.
- User talk:Aviralkumartiwari in Wikipedia (English)
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.