Volatility of Remittances to Pakistan: What do the Data Tell?
AbstractThis paper examines the volatility of remittance flows to Pakistan using the ARCH model. We find overall remittances to be stable, whereas those from the Middle East and North America are relatively volatile, owing to fluctuations in the output of the host economies and the migrants' profile. Remittances from Europe are the least volatile and do not vary as a result of shocks to the host or home economy. Remittances to Pakistan, especially those from Europe, can thus be used as a stable source of foreign exchange flows.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 31 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Remittances; Volatility; ARCH; Pakistan;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- O5 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Florent DEISTING & Farid MAKHLOUF & Adil NAAMANE, 2012. "Développement financier, flux financiers et croissance économique," Working Papers 2011-2012_10, CATT - UPPA - Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour, revised Jun 2012.
- Amar Iqbal Anwar & Mazhar Yaseen Mughal, 2012. "Motives to remit: some microeconomic evidence from Pakistan," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(1), pages 574-585.
- Farid MAKHLOUF & Mazhar MUGHAL, 2011. "Remittances, Dutch Disease, and Competitiveness - A Bayesian Analysis," Working Papers 2011-2012_1, CATT - UPPA - Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour, revised Dec 2011.
- Khaled CHNAINA & Farid MAKHLOUF, 2012. "Impact des transferts de fonds sur le taux de change réel effectif en Tunisie," Working Papers 2011-2012_4, CATT - UPPA - Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour, revised Jan 2012.
- Mazhar MUGHAL & Junaid AHMED, 2013. "Remittances and Business Cycles: Comparison of South Asian Countries," Working Papers 2012-2013_4, CATT - UPPA - Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour, revised Jan 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.