On the link between the Bonferroni index and the measurement of inclusive growth
AbstractIn a recent paper Ali and Son (2007) suggested measuring the concept of "inclusive growth" via the use of what they called a "social opportunity function". The latter was assumed to depend on the average opportunities available in the population and to give greater weight to the opportunities enjoyed by the poor. On the basis of this approach Ali and Son (2007) then defined an "opportunity index" and an "opportunity curve". The present paper derives the link which exists between these concepts of "opportunity index" and "opportunity curve" and what is known in the literature as the Bonferroni index and the Bonferroni curve. It also defines what could be called a Bonferroni concentration index, a Bonferroni concentration curve, a Generalized Bonferroni curve and a Generalized Bonferroni concentration curve.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 30 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Bonferroni index – concentration curve - concentration index – generalized Lorenz curve – human opportunity – opportunity index – opportunity curve;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D3 - Microeconomics - - Distribution
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wagstaff, Adam, 2002.
"Inequality aversion, health inequalities and health achievement,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 627-641, July.
- Wagstaff, Adam, 2002. "Inequality aversion, health inequalities, and health achievement," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2765, The World Bank.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1983. "Ranking Income Distributions," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(197), pages 3-17, February.
- Satya Chakravarty, 2007. "A deprivation-based axiomatic characterization of the absolute Bonferroni index of inequality," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 339-351, December.
- Baruah, Joydeep, 2012. "Inclusive Growth under India's Neo-liberal Regime: Towards an Exposition," MPRA Paper 47248, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.