A residual-based bootstrap test for panel cointegration
AbstractWe address the issue of panel cointegration testing in dependent panels, showing by simulations that tests based on the stationary bootstrap deliver good size and power performances even with small time and cross-section sample sizes and allowing for a break at a known date. They can thus be an empirically important alternative to asymptotic methods based on the estimation of common factors. Potential extensions include test for cointegration allowing for a break in the cointegrating coefficients at an unknown date.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 29 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Panel Cointegration; Stationary Bootstrap; Commmon Factors.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C4 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics
- C3 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gengenbach,Christian & Palm,Franz C. & Urbain,Jean-Pierre, 2005.
"Panel Cointegration Testing in the Presence of Common Factors,"
050, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Gengenbach,Christian & Palm,Franz C. & Urbain,Jean-Pierre, 2005. "Panel Cointegration Testing in the Presence of Common Factors," Research Memorandum 050, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Westerlund, Joakim, 2006.
"Panel Cointegration Tests of the Fisher Effect,"
054, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Chang, Yoosoon & Park, Joon Y. & Song, Kevin, 2006.
"Bootstrapping cointegrating regressions,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 703-739, August.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Carl Bonham, 1990.
"Correct Cointegration Tests of the Long Run Relationship Between Nominal Interest and Inflation,"
199026, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Carl Bonham, 1991. "Correct Cointegration Tests of the Long Run Relationship Between Nominal Interest and Inflation," Working Papers 199104, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1993.
"Is the Fisher Effect for Real? A Reexamination of the Relationship Between Inflation and Interest Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
3632, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mishkin, Frederic S., 1992. "Is the Fisher effect for real? : A reexamination of the relationship between inflation and interest rates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 195-215, November.
- Peter Pedroni, 2004.
"Panel Cointegration: Asymptotic and Finite Sample Properties of Pooled Time Series Tests with an Application to the PPP Hypothesis,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2004-15, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Pedroni, Peter, 2004. "Panel Cointegration: Asymptotic And Finite Sample Properties Of Pooled Time Series Tests With An Application To The Ppp Hypothesis," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(03), pages 597-625, June.
- Paul Evans & Xiaojun Wang, 2008.
"A Tale of Two Effects,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 90(1), pages 147-157, February.
- Parker, Cameron & Paparoditis, Efstathios & Politis, Dimitris N., 2006. "Unit root testing via the stationary bootstrap," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 601-638, August.
- Efstathios Paparoditis & Dimitris N. Politis, 2003. "Residual-Based Block Bootstrap for Unit Root Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(3), pages 813-855, 05.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2001.
"A PANIC Attack on Unit Roots and Cointegration,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
519, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Peter Pedroni, 1999.
"Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2000-02, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Pedroni, Peter, 1999. " Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 653-70, Special I.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Carrion-i-Silvestre, Josep Lluís, 2006.
"Cointegration in panel data with breaks and cross-section dependence,"
Working Paper Series
0591, European Central Bank.
- Anindya Banerjee & Josep Lluís Carrion-i-Silvestre, 2006. "Cointegration in Panel Data with Breaks and Cross-Section Dependence," Economics Working Papers ECO2006/5, European University Institute.
- Anindya Banerjee & Josep Lluis Carrion-i-Silvestre, 2011. "Cointegration in Panel Data with Breaks and Cross-section Dependence," Discussion Papers 11-25, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Stefano Fachin, 2005.
"Long-Run Trends in Internal Migrations in Italy: a Study in Panel Cointegration with Dependent Units,"
- Stefano Fachin, 2007. "Long-run trends in internal migrations in italy: a study in panel cointegration with dependent units," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 401-428.
- Westerlund, Joakim & Edgerton, David L., 2007. "A panel bootstrap cointegration test," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 185-190, December.
- Kao, Chihwa, 1999. "Spurious regression and residual-based tests for cointegration in panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 1-44, May.
- Syed Abul Basher & Elsayed Mousa Elsamadisy, 2012.
"Country heterogeneity and long-run determinants of inflation in the Gulf Arab states,"
OPEC Energy Review,
Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, vol. 36(2), pages 170-203, 06.
- Basher, Syed Abul & Elsamadisy, Elsayed Mousa, 2010. "Country Heterogeneity and Long-Run Determinants of Inflation in the Gulf Arab States," MPRA Paper 27348, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gabriel Bruneau & Kevin Moran, 2012.
"Exchange Rate Fluctuations and Labour Market Adjustments in Canadian Manufacturing Industries,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Gabriel Bruneau & Kevin Moran, 2012. "Exchange Rate Fluctuations and Labour Market Adjustments in Canadian Manufacturing Industries," Cahiers de recherche 1227, CIRPEE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.