Outward FDI from a Free Trade Area: the Small Open Economy Case
AbstractIn a simple three-country model where two countries sign a free trade agreement eliminating restrictions on trade and investment between them, this paper shows that any benefits accruing to the investing country from engaging in outward FDI will depend on the difference between the net return from investing in the third country and the equilibrium return on investment between the two signatories, as well as the direction of the initial capital flow between the signatories. Furthermore, the spillover effect d by the outward FDI may benefit the other signatory that initially owns some of the capital stock of its counterpart.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 6 (2008)
Issue (Month): 47 ()
Contact details of provider:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- F2 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joachim Wagner, 2005.
"Exports, foreign direct investment, and productivity: Evidence from German firm level data,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
8, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Joachim Wagner, 2006. "Exports, foreign direct investment, and productivity: evidence from German firm level data," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(6), pages 347-349.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2005. "Exports, foreign direct investment, and productivity: Evidence from German firm level data," HWWA Discussion Papers 318, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Joachim Wagner, 2005. "Exports, Foreign Direct Investment, and Productivity: Evidence from German Firm Level Data," International Trade 0504006, EconWPA.
- Richard Baldwin & Henrik Braconier & Rikard Forslid, 2005.
"Multinationals, Endogenous Growth, and Technological Spillovers: Theory and Evidence,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(5), pages 945-963, November.
- Braconier, Henrik & Baldwin, Richard E. & Forslid, Rikard, 1999. "Multinationals, Endogenous Growth and Technological Spillovers: Theory and Evidence," Working Paper Series 519, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Baldwin, Richard & Braconier, Henrik & Forslid, Rikard, 1999. "Multinationals, Endogenous Growth and Technological Spillovers: Theory and Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 2155, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N & Dinopoulos, Elias & Wong, Kar-yiu, 1992. "Quid Pro Quo Foreign Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(2), pages 186-90, May.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1997.
"Foreign Direct Investment as a Catalyst for Industrial Development,"
NBER Working Papers
6241, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1999. "Foreign direct investment as a catalyst for industrial development," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 335-356, February.
- Brecher, Richard A. & Findlay, Ronald, 1983. "Tariffs, foreign capital and national welfare with sector-specific factors," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3-4), pages 277-288, May.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Kleinert, Jorn & Toubal, Farid, 2006. "Where enterprises lead, people follow? Links between migration and FDI in Germany," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(8), pages 2017-2036, November.
- Carlo Altomonte, 2007. "Regional Economic Integration and the Location of Multinational Firms," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 143(2), pages 277-305, July.
- Gao, Ting, 2005. "Foreign direct investment and growth under economic integration," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 157-174, September.
- Webb, Michael A., 1990. "Preferential trading agreements and capital flows," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 181-190, January.
- Miyagiwa, Kaz F. & Young, Leslie, 1986. "International capital mobility and commercial policy in an economic region," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3-4), pages 329-341, May.
- David Greenaway & Richard Kneller, 2007. "Firm heterogeneity, exporting and foreign direct investment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(517), pages F134-F161, 02.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.