Cultural capital and demand
AbstractIn this paper we develop a theoretical model that investigates the demand for cultural goods under the assumption of cultural capital and rational addiction. We also consider the effect of a policy intervention in order to raise the initial stock of cultural capital of a given individual, both on individual demand and on supply. Finally, we discuss on the effectiveness of such policies by translating our model to a dynamic framework.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 26 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary S. Becker & Kevin M. Murphy, 1986.
"A Theory of Rational Addiction,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
41, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Stigler, George J & Becker, Gary S, 1977. "De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(2), pages 76-90, March.
- David Throsby, 1999. "Cultural Capital," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 3-12, March.
- Louis Lévy-Garboua & Claude Montmarquette, 1996. "A microeconometric study of theatre demand," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 25-50, March.
- West, Edwin G & McKee, Michael, 1983. "De Gustibus Est Disputandum: The Phenomenon of "Merit Wants" Revisited," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(5), pages 1110-21, December.
- Victoria Ateca-Amestoy, 2008. "Determining heterogeneous behavior for theater attendance," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 127-151, June.
- Ateca Amestoy, Victoria Maria, 2009. "El capital humano como determinante del consumo cultural/," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 27, pages 89-112, Abril.
- Montoro Pons, Juan D. & Cuadrado García, Manuel, 2009. "Determinantes del éxito comercial en las industrias culturales. Análisis del sector fonográfico en España/," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 27, pages 253-272, Abril.
- Masaki Katsuura, 2012. "Lead–lag relationship between household cultural expenditures and business cycles," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 49-65, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.