Total Factor Productivity in the Malaysian Resource-Based Industries
AbstractThis paper will focus on the issues of total factor productivity growth (TFPG) for both 3 and 5-digit level and the performance of resource-based industries (RBIs) in Malaysia for the period 1981-1997. By using the neoclassical Cobb-Douglas production function and traditional growth accounting methodology (Solow-residual) with time discrete Tornqvist weighted value share index, the TFPG estimation for both classifications shows an interesting pattern in terms of sign and fundamental composition. The development of RBIs during the period under study is mostly input driven (moving towards a capital intensive industry), where supply effect of unskilled labour assimilates to the underlying value added growth over time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 15 (2006)
Issue (Month): 16 ()
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Asid, Rozilee & Saiman, Mohd Safri, 2003. "Total Factor Productivity in the Malaysian Resource-Based Industries," MPRA Paper 1010, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Menon, Jayant, 1998. "Total factor productivity growth in foreign and domestic firms in Malaysian manufacturing," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 251-280.
- Nishimizu, Mieko & Robinson, Sherman, 1984. "Trade policies and productivity change in semi-industrialized countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 177-206.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.