Mobility as movement: A measuring proposal based on transition matrices
AbstractIn this note we introduce a family of functions that various theoretical results have revealed as useful mobility measures. These functions have enabled us to circumvent an impossibility result obtained by Shorrocks (1978), by adapting one of his axioms to the context of mobility as movement. A particular case belonging to this family is the Bartholomew index, which is widely used in the empirical literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 4 (2006)
Issue (Month): 22 ()
Contact details of provider:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D3 - Microeconomics - - Distribution
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fields, Gary S. & Ok, Efe A., 1996. "The Meaning and Measurement of Income Mobility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 349-377, November.
- Shorrocks, A F, 1978. "The Measurement of Mobility," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 46(5), pages 1013-24, September.
- Dagum, Camilo, 1980. "Inequality Measures between Income Distributions with Applications," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 48(7), pages 1791-1803, November.
- Ebert, Udo, 1984. "Measures of distance between income distributions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 266-274, April.
- Cowell, Frank A, 1985. "Measures of Distributional Change: An Axiomatic Approach," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(1), pages 135-51, January.
- C. Ferretti & P. Ganugi, 2013. "A new mobility index for transition matrices," Statistical Methods and Applications, Springer, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 403-425, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.