Risk-adjusted measures of wage inequality and safety nets
AbstractIncome variablity is likely to increase wage inequality if poorer households are more vulnerable to shocks. Using a simple method to estimate risk-adjusted measures of wage inequality and data from Mexico, this note shows that safety nets could offset a good part of the impact of risk aversion on wage inequality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 9 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I3 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo & Slemrod, Joel, 1991.
"Welfare Dominance: An Application to Commodity Taxation,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 480-96, June.
- Shlomo Yitzhaki & Joel Slemrod, 1987. "Welfare Dominance: An Application to Commodity Taxation," NBER Working Papers 2451, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Blundell & Ian Preston, 1997.
"Consumption, inequality and income uncertainty,"
IFS Working Papers
W97/15, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, R & Preston, I, 1998. "Consumption inequality and income uncertainty," Open Access publications from University College London http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Ravallion, Martin, 1988. "Expected Poverty under Risk-Induced Welfare Variability," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(393), pages 1171-82, December.
- Hildreth, Clifford & Knowles, Glenn J., 1982. "Some Estimates of Farmers' Utility Functions," Technical Bulletins 54545, University of Minnesota, Agricultural Experiment Station.
- R. Mehra & E. Prescott, 2010.
"The equity premium: a puzzle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1401, David K. Levine.
- Friend, Irwin & Blume, Marshall E, 1975. "The Demand for Risky Assets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(5), pages 900-922, December.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- John C. Harsanyi, 1953. "Cardinal Utility in Welfare Economics and in the Theory of Risk-taking," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 61, pages 434.
- John C. Harsanyi, 1955. "Cardinal Welfare, Individualistic Ethics, and Interpersonal Comparisons of Utility," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63, pages 309.
- Blackorby, Charles & Donaldson, David, 1978. "Measures of relative equality and their meaning in terms of social welfare," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 59-80, June.
- Quentin Wodon, 2007. "Growth and Poverty Reduction : Case Studies from West Africa," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6875.
- Sami Bibi & Jean-Yves Duclos & Abdelkrim Araar, 2011.
"Mobility, Taxation and Welfare,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Cruces Guillermo & Makdissi Paul & Wodon Quentin T., 2004.
"Poverty Measurement Under Risk Aversion Using Panel Data,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-20, September.
- Paul MAKDISSI & Quentin WODON & Guillermo Cruces, 2003. "Poverty Measurement Under Risk Aversion Using Panel Data," Cahiers de recherche 03-06, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Nicholas Rohde & Kam Ki Tang & Prasada Rao, 2011. "Income volatility and insecurity in the U.S., Germany and Britain," Discussion Papers Series 434, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Guillermo Cruces & Quentin Wodon, 2003.
"Argentinas Crises and the Poor, 1995-2002,"
STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers
71, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Paul MAKDISSI & Quentin WODON, 2004. "Price Liberalization and Farmer Welfare Under Risk Aversion: Cotton in Benin and Ivory Coast," Cahiers de recherche 04-09, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Addison, Douglas & Wodon, Quentin, 2007. "Macroeconomic Volatility, Private Investment, Growth, and Poverty in Nigeria," MPRA Paper 11113, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.