Decomposition of Gini and the generalized entropy inequality measures
AbstractIn this article we provide an overview of the Gini decomposition and the generalized entropy inequality measures, a free access to their computation, an application on French wages, and a different way than Dagum to demonstrate that the Gini index is a more convenient measure than those issued from entropy: Theil, Hirschman-Herfindahl and Bourguignon.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 4 (2003)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bourguignon, Francois, 1979. "Decomposable Income Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 901-20, July.
- Baruah, Joydeep, 2012. "On Identification of Backward Blocks," MPRA Paper 47258, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrés Solimano & Arístides Torche, 2008. "Income Distribution In Chile, 1987-2006: Analysis And Policy Considerations," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 480, Central Bank of Chile.
- Bittencourt, Mauricio V.L. & Larson, Donald W. & Kraybill, David S., 2005.
"Regional Short Run Effects of Trade Liberalization in Brazil,"
2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI
19132, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Mauricio Bittencourt & Donald Larson & David Kraybill, 2010. "Regional Short-Run Effects Of Trade Liberalization In Brazil," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 65-85.
- Pauline Mornet, 2013. "A program for weakly decomposable inequality measures by population subgroups," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(3), pages 1738-1750.
- Maria Ana Lugo, 2008.
"Multidimensional Poverty Measures from an Information Theory Perspective,"
OPHI Working Papers
ophiwp011, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Maria Ana Lugo & Esfandiar Maasoumi, 2008. "Multidimensional Poverty Measures from an Information Theory Perspective," Working Papers 85, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- D'Angelo, Emanuela & Lilla, Marco, 2007. "Is there more than one linkage between Social Network and Inequality?," IRISS Working Paper Series 2007-12, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Chameni Nembua, Célestin, 2008. "Measuring and explaining economic inequality: An extension of the Gini coefficient," MPRA Paper 31242, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2010.
- Stéphane Mussard & Françoise Seyte & Michel Terraza, 2006. "La décomposition de l’indicateur de Gini en sous-groupes : une revue de la littérature," Cahiers de recherche 06-11, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Barbora Slintáková & Stanislav Klazar, 2010. "Impact of Harmonisation on Distribution of VAT in the Czech Republic," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2010(2), pages 133-149.
- Stéphane Mussard & Pi Alperin María Noel & Françoise Seyte & Michel Terraza, 2005. "Extensions Of Dagum’S Gini Decomposition," Cahiers de recherche 05-07, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- C. Chameni Nembua, 2005. "A three components subgroup decomposition of the Hirschman-Herfindahl index and household's income inequalities in Cameroon," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(15), pages 941-947.
- Bittencourt, Mauricio V.L. & Kraybill, David S. & Larson, Donald W., 2006. "Consequences Of Trade Liberalization On Poverty And Income Distribution In Brazil," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21128, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Daniel Suryadarma & Rima Prama Artha & Asep Suryahadi & Sudarno Sumarto, 2005. "A Reassessment of Inequality and Its Role in Poverty Reduction in Indonesia," Development Economics Working Papers 22543, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- C. Chameni Nembua, 2007. "The multi-decomposition of the Hirschman-Herfindahl index: measuring household inequality in Cameroon, 1996-2001," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 27-34.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.