Aggregation over different qualities: Are there generic commodities?
AbstractAggregation over goods is always an issue in empirical analysis. However, while the problem of aggregation over different goods often is analysed, little attention has been given to the properties of generic goods such as e.g. coffee, wheat and salmon. Often these generic commodities contain a number of different qualities. In this paper a test for aggregation based on Lewbel's Generalized Composite Commodity Theorem (GCCT) using only price data is used to validate aggregation. We show by using price series for different weight-classes of salmon that the generic term salmon can be used for these products.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 3 (2001)
Issue (Month): 13 ()
Contact details of provider:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q0 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1996. "Aggregation without Separability: A Generalized Composite Commodity Theorem," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 524-43, June.
- Gordon, Daniel V. & Salvanes, Kjell Gunnar & Atkins, Frank, 1993. "A Fish Is a Fish Is a Fish? Testing for Market Linkages on the Paris Fish Market," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 8(4).
- Anders, Q. Nyrud, 2002. "Integration in the Norwegian pulpwood market: domestic prices versus external trade," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 213-225.
- Mehrotra, Shiv N. & Kant, Shashi, 2009. "Use of composite forest commodity price indices for cointegration analysis," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 237-260, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.