Competition and Tax Evasion: A Cross Country Study
AbstractThis paper investigates the determinants of tax evasion, utilizing rich cross-country data of firm-level survey from the World Bank, and shows that competition is a key factor determining evasion activities; however its effect displays a decreasing trend. It is also shown that business obstacles facing firms such as tax administration and unfair practices play significant roles in explaining tax evasion. Firm characteristics such as size, age, ownership are also found important determinants. The empirical analysis controls for industry and country-level effects, for instance quality of the legal environment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Queensland University of Technology (QUT), School of Economics and Finance in its journal Economic Analysis and Policy (EAP).
Volume (Year): 42 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (September)
tax evasion; competition; legal environment;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H26 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Tax Evasion
- O17 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Formal and Informal Sectors; Shadow Economy; Institutional Arrangements
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Era Dabla-Norris & Gabriela Inchauste, 2008. "Informality and Regulations: What Drives the Growth of Firms?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 55(1), pages 50-82, April.
- Aureo de Paula & Jose A Sheinkman, 2007.
"The Informal Sector,"
122247000000001663, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Aureo de Paula & Jose A. Scheinkman, 2007. "The Informal Sector," PIER Working Paper Archive 07-033, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Aureo de Paula & Jose A. Scheinkman, 2006. "The Informal Sector," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000001030, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Áureo de Paula & José A. Scheinkman, 2007. "The Informal Sector," NBER Working Papers 13486, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jose Scheinkman & Aureo de Paula, 2007. "The Informal Sector," 2007 Meeting Papers 117, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Schwieren, Christiane & Weichselbaumer, Doris, 2010.
"Does competition enhance performance or cheating? A laboratory experiment,"
Journal of Economic Psychology,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 241-253, June.
- Schwieren, Christiane & Weichselbaumer, Doris, 2008. "Does Competition Enhance Performance or Cheating? A Laboratory Experiment," IZA Discussion Papers 3275, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Christiane Schwieren & Doris Weichselbaumer, 2008. "Does competition enhance performance or cheating? A laboratory experiment," Economics working papers 2008-01, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Christiane Schwieren & Doris Weichselbaumer, 2008. "Does competition enhance performance or cheating? A laboratory experiment," NRN working papers 2008-05, The Austrian Center for Labor Economics and the Analysis of the Welfare State, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Bayer, Ralph-C., 2006.
"A contest with the taxman - the impact of tax rates on tax evasion and wastefully invested resources,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 50(5), pages 1071-1104, July.
- Ralph C Bayer, 2004. "A contest with the taxman - The impact of tax rates on tax evasion and wastefully invested resources," Public Economics 0412010, EconWPA.
- Ralph-C Bayer, 2003. "A Contest with the Taxman: The Impact of Tax Rates on Tax Evasion and Wastefully Invested Resources," School of Economics Working Papers 2003-06, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Ralph-C Bayer, 2004. "A Contest with the Taxman - The Impact of Tax Rates on Tax Evasion and Wastefully Invested Resources," School of Economics Working Papers 2004-11, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Gabriela Inchauste & Mark Gradstein & Era Dabla-Norris, 2005.
"What Causes Firms to Hide Output? The Determinants of Informality,"
IMF Working Papers
05/160, International Monetary Fund.
- Dabla-Norris, Era & Gradstein, Mark & Inchauste, Gabriela, 2008. "What causes firms to hide output? The determinants of informality," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1-2), pages 1-27, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Manuela Torgler).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.