Exchange Rate Volatility and Trade: A Literature Survey
AbstractThis paper reviews the literature dealing with the effects of exchange rate volatility on trade. The overall evidence is best characterized as mixed as the results are sensitive to the choices of sample period, model specification, proxies for exchange rate volatility and countries considered (developed vs developing). Numerous empirical studies have been conducted to investigate whether trade is influenced by exchange rate volatility. It is widely believed that increased exchange rate volatility inhibits the growth of foreign trade.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Euro-American Association of Economic Development in its journal International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies .
Volume (Year): 3 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marc Auboin & Michele Ruta, 2012.
"The Relationship between Exchange Rates and International Trade: A Literature Review,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3868, CESifo Group Munich.
- Auboin, Marc & Ruta, Michele, 2013. "The relationship between exchange rates and international trade: a literature review," World Trade Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 577-605, July.
- Schüder, Stefan, 2011. "Monetary policy trade-offs in a portfolio model with endogenous asset supply," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 127, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Sabri, Nidal Rachid & Peeters, Marga & Abulaben, Diama K., 2012. "The impact of exchange rate volatility on trade integration among North and South Mediterranean countries," MPRA Paper 38080, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Schüder, Stefan, 2012.
"Monetary Policy Trade-Offs in a Portfolio Model with Endogenous Asset Supply,"
Annual Conference 2012 (Goettingen): New Approaches and Challenges for the Labor Market of the 21st Century
65402, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Schüder, Stefan, 2011. "Monetary policy trade-offs in a portfolio model with endogenous asset supply," MPRA Paper 32019, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marilyne Huchet Bourdon & Catherine Laroche Dupraz & Anned-Linz Sénadin, 2013. "Impact du taux de change sur la sécurité alimentaire des pays en développement," Working Papers SMART - LERECO 13-10, INRA UMR SMART.
- Bouoiyour, Jamal & Selmi, Refk, 2013. "Exchange rate uncertainty and export performance: what meta-analysis reveals?," MPRA Paper 49249, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Aug 2013.
- Wesley, J.D. & Shen, Xuan & Li, Sheng & Wilson, Norbert L.W., 2012. "Agricultural Trade Bias in Exchange Rate Volatility Effect Estimation: An Application of Meta-Regression Analysis," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124870, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Abdul Jalil Khan & Parvez Azim & Shabib Haider Syed, 2014. "The Impact of Exchange Rate Volatility on Trade: A Panel Study on Pakistan’s Trading Partners," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 19(1), pages 31-66, Jan-June.
- Catherine Laroche-Dupraz & Marilyne Huchet-Bourdon & Anned-Linz SENADIN, 2012. "Impact du taux de change sur la sÃ©curitÃ© alimentaire des pays en dÃ©veloppement," Working Papers 169742, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Zelha Altynkaya & Georgescu Stefan & Dragan Cristian, 2013. "Aspects related to risk management in oil and gas industry," Constanta Maritime University Annals, Constanta Maritime University, vol. 20(2), pages 315-322.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.