Economic Development and Structural Breaks: An Application of the Lee and Strazicich(2003) Lagrange Multiplier Test to the Libyan Economy, 1970-2007
AbstractThe paper discusses the evolution of economic development whilst examining the time series properties with two structural breaks for the Libyan economy using annual time series from 1970 to 2007. Both the Augmented Dickey-Fuller (ADF) and the Lee and Strazicich (2003) unit root tests are used to determine the time series properties of the data. The ADF results are not able to reject the null of unit root for all of the 14 macroeconomic variables. On the other hand, the results of Lee and Strazicich (2003) test with two endogenously determined structural breaks indicate the non-rejection of unit root null of only eight variables. The structural break dates correspond to the major economic events in the Libyan economy such as oil shocks, changing of economic regime, the UN sanctions and lifting of the UN sanctions and USA trade embargo.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Euro-American Association of Economic Development in its journal Applied Econometrics and International Development.
Volume (Year): 12 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lawrence J. Christiano, 1988.
"Searching For a Break in GNP,"
NBER Working Papers
2695, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nunes, Luis C & Newbold, Paul & Kuan, Chung-Ming, 1997. "Testing for Unit Roots with Breaks: Evidence on the Great Crash and the Unit Root Hypothesis Reconsidered," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 59(4), pages 435-48, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.