Foreign Aid And The Real Exchange Rate In The West African Economic And Monetary Union (Waemu)
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to re-examine the relationship between foreign aid and the real exchange rate, using recent econometric methods developed for non-stationary dynamic panels, and an estimator that imposes a weaker homogeneity assumption on the slope coefficients. The investigation shows that foreign aid led to an appreciation of the real exchange over the period 1975-2005. In addition, the paper finds that other variables, such as labour productivity (a proxy for Balassa-Samuelson effect), terms of trade improvement, and government consumption of non-tradable goods are also associated with an appreciation of the real exchange rate. To avoid an appreciation of the real exchange rate and a decline in competiveness, we recommend that WAEMU countries use foreign exchange from aid inflows to import capital goods, which will not only lead to export expansion, but also to faster economic growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Euro-American Association of Economic Development in its journal Applied Econometrics and International Development.
Volume (Year): 11 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F35 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Aid
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Magnus Saxegaard & StÃ©phane Roudet & Charalambos G. Tsangarides, 2007. "Estimation of Equilibrium Exchange Rates in the Waemu," IMF Working Papers 07/194, International Monetary Fund.
- Pedroni, Peter, 1999.
" Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 653-70, Special I.
- Peter Pedroni, 1999. "Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors," Department of Economics Working Papers 2000-02, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Pesaran, M Hashem, 1997.
"The Role of Economic Theory in Modelling the Long Run,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(440), pages 178-91, January.
- Pesaran, M.H., 1996. "The Role of Economic Theory in Modelling the Long Run," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9612, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Kao, Chihwa, 1999. "Spurious regression and residual-based tests for cointegration in panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 1-44, May.
- David Roodman, 2007.
"The Anarchy of Numbers: Aid, Development, and Cross-Country Empirics,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 21(2), pages 255-277, May.
- David Roodman, 2004. "The Anarchy of Numbers: Aid, Development, and Cross-country Empirics," Development and Comp Systems 0412003, EconWPA.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
- Kaddour Hadri, 2000.
"Testing for stationarity in heterogeneous panel data,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(2), pages 148-161.
- Kaddour Hadri, 1999. "Testing For Stationarity In Heterogeneous Panel Data," Research Papers 1999_04, University of Liverpool Management School.
- Tom Doan, . "HADRI: RATS procedure to implement Hadri test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00084, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Chihwa Kao & Suzanne McCoskey, 1997.
"A Residual-Based Test Of The Null Of Cointegration In Panel Data,"
- Suzanne McCoskey & Chihwa Kao, 1998. "A residual-based test of the null of cointegration in panel data," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 57-84.
- Guisan, M.Carmen & Aguayo, Eva & Exposito, Pilar, 2001. "Economic growth and cycles: Cross-country models of education, industry and fertility and international comparisons," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 1(1), pages 9-37.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Maeso-Fernandez, Francisco & Osbat, Chiara & Schnatz, Bernd, 2006. "Towards the estimation of equilibrium exchange rates for transition economies: Methodological issues and a panel cointegration perspective," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 499-517, September.
- Levy, Victor, 1988. "Aid and growth in Sub-Saharan Africa: The recent experience," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1777-1795, November.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Badi H. Baltagi & James M. Griffin & Weiwen Xiong, 2000. "To Pool Or Not To Pool: Homogeneous Versus Hetergeneous Estimations Applied to Cigarette Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(1), pages 117-126, February.
- OSAKWE, Patrick N, 2007. "Export Diversification And The Dilemma Of African Development," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 7(2), pages 143-154.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.