An Exchange Market Pressure Model for India
AbstractThis study has two objectives: first, it tries to explain both exchange rate movements and official intervention through the use of a single dependent variable, Exchange Market Pressure (EMP); second, it provides a measure of the degree of monetary autonomy that a country possesses. These objectives are evaluated within the framework of a bilateral model comprising India and Rest of the World, over the period covering January 1980 to July 1998. The study uses the Girton and Roper (1977) monetary model of EMP which is modified to incorporate explicitly the role played by expectations in generating EMP. The conclusion reached is that the modified model performs much better than the original Girton and Roper(G-R) model in explaining EMP, and that the results could probably be further improved by using a model that embodies the general equilibrium approach as opposed to the partial equilibrium approach of the G-R model and the modified version used in this study.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics in its journal Indian Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 34 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of Delhi, Delhi 110 007
Phone: 91-11-2766-6533/34/35, 2766-6703/04/05
Web page: http://www.ierdse.org/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sayera Younus, 2010. "Exchange Market Pressure and Monetary Policy," Working Papers id:2389, eSocialSciences.
- Stavarek, Daniel & Dohnal, Marek, 2009. "Exchange Market Pressure in Central Europe: An Application of the Girton-Roper Model," MPRA Paper 15744, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pami Dua).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.