Mother's Education Effect on Child Health: An Econometric Analysis of Child Anthropometry in Uganda
AbstractThis paper reports a methodology for analysis and presents the determinants of the child health in Uganda. A two-stage method which evaluates the effects of covariates on child's height-for-age and weight-for-height after controlling for the selectivity bias caused by child mortality is demonstrated to be necessary. This analysis documents the significant effect of mother's education on the long-term health measure(height-for-age) of children less than five years of age. Parental education have positive but not significant association with the short-term (weight-for-height) measure of health. However, mother's education improves child's height-for-age more in urban areas than in rural areas. The positive effects of radio ownership on weight-for-height are much greater among the uneducated mothers. It has also been found that the benefits of mother's education are greater for sons than for daughters.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics in its journal Indian Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 30 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of Delhi, Delhi 110 007
Phone: 91-11-2766-6533/34/35, 2766-6703/04/05
Web page: http://www.ierdse.org/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I1 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health
- I2 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education
- I3 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Steckel, Richard H., 2009.
"Heights and human welfare: Recent developments and new directions,"
Explorations in Economic History,
Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Richard H. Steckel, 2008. "Heights and Human Welfare: Recent Developments and New Directions," NBER Working Papers 14536, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pami Dua).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.