Relevant Market and Pricing Behavior of Regional Newspapers in the Netherlands
AbstractZiel der vorliegenden Untersuchung ist es, den Einfluss von Marktstruktur und anderen regionalen Einflussgrößen auf die Preise der Zeitungen für Abonnements und Anzeigen zu analysieren. Im Ergebnis zeigt sich insbesondere eine negative Korrelation von Konzentration und Zeitungspreisen. Die Preise für Anzeigen hängen - anders als die für Abonnements - signifikant vom Einkommensniveau und der Bevölkerungsdichte in der jeweiligen Region ab. Weiterhin deutet die empirische Evidenz darauf hin, dass zu den relevanten Märkten für Regionalzeitungen in den Niederlanden auch die überregionalen Zeitungen und andere Medien gehören. The aim of this study is to investigate the effect of market structure and area characteristics on the subscription prices and advertising rates for regional newspapers in the Netherlands. The price-market structure analysis in this study shows that there exists a negative relationship between concentration and prices. The results also show that advertising rates, differently to subscription prices, are significantly influenced by regional income and particularly by population density in the specific area. Furthermore, the evidence indicates that the relevant market for regional newspapers in the Netherlands is a market which encompasses regional newspapers, national newspapers and other media sources.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research in its journal Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung.
Volume (Year): 74 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Scheffman, David T & Spiller, Pablo T, 1987. "Geographic Market Definition under the U.S. Department of Justice Merger Guidelines," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(1), pages 123-47, April.
- Forni, Mario, 2002.
"Using Stationarity Tests in Antitrust Market Definition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3236, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mario Forni, 2004. "Using Stationarity Tests in Antitrust Market Definition," American Law and Economics Review, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(2), pages 441-464.
- van Kranenburg, 2001. "Economic Effects of Consolidations of Publishers and Newspapers in The Netherlands," Journal of Media Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 61-76.
- Geroski, Paul A, 1997.
"Thinking Creatively About Markets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1694, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Evans, William N & Froeb, Luke M & Werden, Gregory J, 1993. "Endogeneity in the Concentration-Price Relationship: Causes, Consequences, and Cures," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(4), pages 431-38, December.
- Robert R. Kerton, 1973. "Price Effects of Market Power in the Canadian Newspaper Industry," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 6(4), pages 602-06, November.
- Kranenburg, Hans van, 2002. "Mobility and market structure in the dutch daily newspaper segments," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-4910, Maastricht University.
- Chaudhri, Vivek, 1998. "Pricing and efficiency of a circulation industry: The case of newspapers," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 59-76, March.
- Hans van Kranenburg, 2002. "Mobility and Market Structure in the Dutch Daily Newspaper Market Segments," Journal of Media Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 107-123.
- Kranenburg, H. L. van, 2001. "Economic effects of consolidations of publishers and newspapers in the Netherlands," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-4911, Maastricht University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.