Définition des bonus des dirigeants et performance des entreprises de haute technologie
Abstract(VF)Cet article étudie les différences de performance consécutives à l’introduction de trois types de bonus proposés aux dirigeants d’entreprises de haute technologie : ceux liés aux seuls critères financiers, ceux incorporant en plus des critères non financiers hors R&D et ceux incluant des critères non financiers dont la R&D. Les résultats obtenus sur un échantillon de 230 entreprises suggèrent que l’introduction de mesures de R&D dans les bonus est le choix le plus pertinent. De plus, il n’apparaît pas de différence de performance entre un bonus financier et un bonus introduisant des indicateurs non financiers excluant la R&D.(VA)This article investigates the performance impact of introducing three different types of CEO bonuses into high technology firms : bonus based on financial measures, bonuses based on financial and non financial measures excluding R&D and bonuses based on financial and non financial measures including R&D. The results, drawn from a sample of 230 firms, suggest that firms whose CEO bonus incorporates R&D measures perform better than firms which rely on other types of financial and non financial measures in defining the CEO bonus.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by revues.org in its journal Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie.
Volume (Year): 14 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.revues.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M52 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Personnel Economics - - - Compensation and Compensation Methods and Their Effects
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Josh Lerner & Julie Wulf, 2006.
"Innovation and Incentives: Evidence from Corporate R&D,"
NBER Working Papers
11944, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Josh Lerner & Julie Wulf, 2007. "Innovation and Incentives: Evidence from Corporate R&D," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(4), pages 634-644, November.
- Philippe Desbrières & Samuel Mercier, 2001. "Enjeux éthiques des formules d'actionnariat des dirigeants," Working Papers FARGO 1011101, Université de Bourgogne - Crego EA 7317/Fargo (Research center in Finance,organizational ARchitecture and GOvernance).
- Brian J. Hall & Kevin J. Murphy, 2000.
"Stock Options for Undiversified Executives,"
NBER Working Papers
8052, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John E. Core & Wayne R. Guay & David F. Larcker, 2003. "Executive equity compensation and incentives: a survey," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Apr, pages 27-50.
- Yermack, David, 1996. "Higher market valuation of companies with a small board of directors," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 185-211, February.
- Paul André & Eduardo Schiehll, 2004. "Systèmes de gouvernance, actionnaires dominants et performance future des entreprises," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 7(2), pages 165-193, June.
- Teece, David J., 1996. "Firm organization, industrial structure, and technological innovation," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 193-224, November.
- Khaled Elsayed, 2007. "Does CEO Duality Really Affect Corporate Performance?," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(6), pages 1203-1214, November.
- Holthausen, Robert W. & Larcker, David F. & Sloan, Richard G., 1995. "Business unit innovation and the structure of executive compensation," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 279-313, April.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Bushman, Robert M. & Indjejikian, Raffi J. & Smith, Abbie, 1996. "CEO compensation: The role of individual performance evaluation," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 161-193, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gérard Charreaux).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.