Les performances économiques et boursières à long terme des sociétés introduites en bourse:le cas du marché français (1990-2003)
Abstract(VF)Cette étude analyse l’évolution des performances opérationnelles et boursières d’un échantillon de 379 introductions en bourse réalisées en France entre 1990 et 2003 sur les second et nouveau marchés. Les résultats montrent que les performances opérationnelles des entreprises françaises s’améliorent avant l’introduction en bourse puis se dégradent les cinq années post introduction. Par ailleurs, la diminution des performances opérationnelles dans les 3 ans (respectivement 5 ans) post introduction apparaît déterminer significativement la sous-performance boursière à 36 mois (respectivement à 60 mois). Ce résultat semble corroborer le modèle comportemental du timing.(VA)This study analyzes the long-run operating and stock market performance of a sample of 379 initial public offerings (IPOs) on the French Second Marché and Nouveau Marché between 1990 and 2003. Our results suggest that companies going public experience substantial improvements in operating performance prior to the offering, while the tendency is reversed after the offering has taken place. We also study the link between operating performance and long-run returns. The results suggest that IPOs with poor subsequent operating performance exhibit poor stock performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by revues.org in its journal Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie.
Volume (Year): 13 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.revues.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- G30 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ljungqvist, Alexander P & Nanda, Vikram & Singh, Rajdeep, 2001.
"Hot Markets, Investor Sentiment and IPO Pricing,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3053, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ljungqvist, Alexander P., 1997. "Pricing initial public offerings: Further evidence from Germany," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(7), pages 1309-1320, July.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1992. " The Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 427-65, June.
- Marsh, Paul, 1982. " The Choice between Equity and Debt: An Empirical Study," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(1), pages 121-44, March.
- Barberis, Nicholas & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert, 1998.
"A model of investor sentiment,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 307-343, September.
- Phillippe Desbrières & Alain Schatt, 2002.
"The Impacts of LBOs on the Performance of Acquired Firms: The French Case,"
Journal of Business Finance & Accounting,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(5&6), pages 695-729.
- Philippe Desbrières & Alain Schatt, 2002. "The Impacts of LBOs on the Performance of Acquired Firms:the French Case," Working Papers FARGO 1020702, Université de Bourgogne - Crego EA 7317/Fargo (Research center in Finance,organizational ARchitecture and GOvernance).
- Cai, Jun & Wei, K. C. John, 1997. "The investment and operating performance of Japanese initial public offerings," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 389-417, September.
- Chahine, Salim & Filatotchev, Igor, 2008. "The effects of venture capitalist affiliation to underwriters on short- and long-term performance in French IPOs," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 351-372.
- Jaffe, Jeffrey F, 1974. "Special Information and Insider Trading," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(3), pages 410-28, July.
- Harjeet S. Bhabra & Richard H. Pettway, 2003. "IPO Prospectus Information and Subsequent Performance," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 38(3), pages 369-397, 08.
- S. Illeris & G. Akehurst, 2001. "Introduction," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 1-4, January.
- Alon Brav & Christopher Geczy & Paul A. Gompers, .
"Is the Abnormal Return Following Equity Issuances Anomalous?,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
02-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Brav, Alon & Geczy, Christopher & Gompers, Paul A., 2000. "Is the abnormal return following equity issuances anomalous?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 209-249, May.
- Alon Brav & Christopher Geczy & Paul A. Gompers, . "Is the Abnormal Return Following Equity Issuances Anomalous?," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 2-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Loughran, Tim & Ritter, Jay R., 2000. "Uniformly least powerful tests of market efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 361-389, March.
- Richard Stehle & Olaf Ehrhardt & René Przyborowsky, 2000. "Long-run stock performance of German initial public offerings and seasoned equity issues," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 6(2), pages 173-196.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Francesca Cornelli & David Goldreich & Alexander Ljungqvist, 2006. "Investor Sentiment and Pre-IPO Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(3), pages 1187-1216, 06.
- Titman, Sheridan & Wessels, Roberto, 1988. " The Determinants of Capital Structure Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Jay R. Ritter, 2003. "Differences between European and American IPO Markets," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 9(4), pages 421-434.
- Kutsuna, Kenji & Okamura, Hideo & Cowling, Marc, 2002. "Ownership structure pre- and post-IPOs and the operating performance of JASDAQ companies," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 163-181, April.
- Laurie Krigman & Wayne H. Shaw & Kent L. Womack, 1999. "The Persistence of IPO Mispricing and the Predictive Power of Flipping," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(3), pages 1015-1044, 06.
- Michaely, Roni & Womack, Kent L, 1999. "Conflict of Interest and the Credibility of Underwriter Analyst Recommendations," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(4), pages 653-86.
- Wang, Changyun, 2005. "Ownership and operating performance of Chinese IPOs," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1835-1856, July.
- Steven X. Zheng, 2007. "Market Underreaction to Free Cash Flows from IPOs," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 42(1), pages 75-97, 02.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gérard Charreaux).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.