Concentration et compétitivité du marché de l'audit en France:une étude longitudinale 1997-2003
Abstract(VF) Cet article étudie la concentration et l'intensité concurrentielle du marché de l'audit français dans la phase de regroupements des Big Six aux Big Four, suite aux critiques de «cartélisation» souvent formulées. Les mesures portent sur l'ensemble des sociétés cotées fin 1997 et fin 2003, ainsi que sur une segmentation sectorielle de ce marché. Il ressort que la concentration s'est logiquement accrue, globalement et dans la plupart des secteurs. À l'instar des pays anglo-saxons, les ratios de concentration montrent une tendance vers l'oligopole restreint, confirmée par les indices de Linda qui suggèrent un resserrement, dans cette période, de huit à cinq firmes d'audit dotées d'un poids significatif. Toutefois, les indices de Herfindahl suggèrent que l'intensité concurrentielle demeure vive entre les grandes firmes d'audit, et que le marché reste concurrentiel par les prix fin 2003.(VA)Following growing critics of "cartelization", this paper investigates the concentration and competitiveness of the French audit market during the Big Six to Big Four merger period. Concentration is measured for the whole population of listed companics at the end of 1997 and 2003, and within industry segments. It appears that concentration has logically increased, overall, and in most of the industry segments. As observed on Anglo-Saxon markets, concentration ratios characterize a closed oligopoly , which is confirmed by Linda indices showing that the market has reduced from eight to five audit firms with significant market power. However, Herfindahl indices suggest that competition remains fierce between the larger audit firms, and that the whole market is still price competitive by the end of 2003.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by revues.org in its journal Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie.
Volume (Year): 11 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.revues.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- M42 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Auditing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sumithira Thavapalan & Robyn Moroney & Roger Simnett, 2002. "The effect of the PricewaterhouseCoopers merger on auditor concentration in Australia: A note," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 42(2), pages 153-167.
- Charles Piot, 2001. "Agency costs and audit quality: evidence from France," European Accounting Review, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 461-499.
- Tonge, Stanley D. & Wootton, Charles W., 1991. "Auditor concentration and competition among the large public accounting firms: Post-merger status and future implications," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 157-172.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gérard Charreaux).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.