Why trade facilitation matters to Africa
AbstractThis paper reviews data and research on trade costs for Sub-Saharan African countries. It focuses on: border-related costs, transport costs, costs related to behind-the border issues, and the costs of compliance with rules of origin specific to preferential trade agreements. Trade costs are, on average, higher for African countries than for other developing countries. Using gravity-model estimates, the authors compute ad-valorem equivalents of improvements in trade indicators for a sample of African countries. The evidence suggests that the gains for African exporters from improving the trade logistics half-way to the level in South Africa is more important than a substantive cut in tariff barriers. As an example, improving logistics in Ethiopia half-way to the level in South Africa would be roughly equivalent to a 7.5 percent cut in tariffs faced by Ethiopian exporters.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal World Trade Review.
Volume (Year): 8 (2009)
Issue (Month): 03 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_WTRProvider-Email:email@example.com
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raymond Fisman & Shang-Jin Wei, 2001.
"Tax Rates and Tax Evasion: Evidence from "Missing Imports" in China,"
NBER Working Papers
8551, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raymond Fisman & Shang-Jin Wei, 2004. "Tax Rates and Tax Evasion: Evidence from "Missing Imports" in China," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(2), pages 471-500, April.
- Fisman, Raymond & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2001. "Tax Rates and Tax Evasion: Evidence from 'Missing Imports' in China," CEPR Discussion Papers 3089, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David Hummels & Alexandre Skiba, 2002.
"Shipping the Good Apples Out? An Empirical Confirmation of the Alchian-Allen Conjecture,"
NBER Working Papers
9023, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Hummels & Alexandre Skiba, 2004. "Shipping the Good Apples Out? An Empirical Confirmation of the Alchian-Allen Conjecture," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(6), pages 1384-1402, December.
- Matthias Helble & Ben Shepherd & John S. Wilson, 2009. "Transparency and Regional Integration in the Asia Pacific," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(3), pages 479-508, 03.
- Paul Collier & Jan Willem Gunning, 1997.
"Explaining African economic performance,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
1997-02.2, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Limao, Nuno & Venables, Anthony J., 1999. "Infrastructure, geographical disadvantage, and transport costs," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2257, The World Bank.
- Anderson, James E & Neary, J Peter, 1994.
"Measuring the Restrictiveness of Trade Policy,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 8(2), pages 151-69, May.
- Michael Faye & John McArthur & Jeffrey Sachs & Thomas Snow, 2004. "The Challenges Facing Landlocked Developing Countries," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(1), pages 31-68.
- Kee, Hiau Looi & Nicita, Alessandro & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2006.
"Estimating Trade Restrictiveness Indices,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5576, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cadot, Olivier & Melo, Jaime de, 2007.
"Rules of Origin for Preferential Trading Arrangements: Implications for the ASEAN Free Trade Area of EU and US Experience,"
Journal of Economic Integration,
Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 22, pages 256-287.
- Cadot, Olivier & Melo, Jaime de, 2007. "Rules of Origin for Preferential Trading Arrangements: Implications for the ASEAN Free Trade Area of EU and US Experience," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 22, pages 288-319.
- Cadot, Olivier & de Melo, Jaime & Portugal-Perez, Alberto, 2006. "Rules of origin for preferential trading arrangements : implications for the ASEAN Free Trade Area of EU and U.S. experience," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4016, The World Bank.
- Roberta Gatti, 2004. "Explaining corruption: are open countries less corrupt?," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(6), pages 851-861.
- Djankov, Simeon & Freund, Caroline & Pham, Cong S., 2006.
"Trading on time,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3909, The World Bank.
- Arvis, Jean-Francois & Raballand, Gael & Marteau, Jean-Francois, 2007.
"The cost of being landlocked : logistics costs and supply chain reliability,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4258, The World Bank.
- Jean-François Arvis & Gaël Raballand & Jean-François Marteau, 2010. "The Cost of Being Landlocked : Logistics Costs and Supply Chain Reliability," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2489, March.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2004.
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 42(3), pages 691-751, September.
- Freund, Caroline L. & Weinhold, Diana, 2004. "The effect of the Internet on international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 171-189, January.
- Disdier, Anne-Celia & Fontagne, Lionel & Mimouni, Mondher, 2007.
"The Impact of Regulations on Agricultural Trade: Evidence from SPS and TBT Agreements,"
18869, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Anne-Célia Disdier & Lionel Fontagné & Mondher Mimouni, 2007. "The Impact of Regulations on Agricultural Trade: Evidence from SPS and TBT Agreements," Working Papers 2007-04, CEPII research center.
- Supee Teravaninthorn & Gaël Raballand, 2009. "Transport Prices and Costs in Africa : A Review of the International Corridors," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6610, March.
- Czubala, Witold & Shepherd, Ben & Wilson, John S., 2007. "Help or hindrance ? the impact of harmonized standards on african exports," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4400, The World Bank.
- Persson, Maria, 2011.
"From trade preferences to trade facilitation: Taking stock of the issues,"
Economics Discussion Papers
2011-23, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Persson, Maria, 2012. "From trade preferences to trade facilitation: Taking stock of the issues," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 6(17), pages 1-33.
- World Bank, 2010. "Uruguay - Trade and Logistics : An Opportunity - Main Report," World Bank Other Operational Studies 2962, The World Bank.
- Velea, Irina & Cadot, Olivier & Wilson, John S., 2010. "Do private inspection programs affect trade facilitation ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5515, The World Bank.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Wilson, John S., 2010. "Aid for trade : building on progress today for tomorrow's future," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5361, The World Bank.
- Tingvall, Patrik Gustavsson & Poldahl, Andreas, 2011.
"Determinants of Firm R&D: The Role of Relationship-specific Interactions for R&D Spillovers,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation
251, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Patrik Tingvall & Andreas Poldahl, 2012. "Determinants of Firm R&D: The Role of Relationship-Specific Interactions for R&D Spillovers," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 395-411, December.
- Sebastián Sáez, 2010. "Trade in Services Negotiations : A Guide for Developing Countries," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2481, March.
- Lawrence Edwards & Neil Rankin, 2012. "Is Africa Integrating? Evidence from Product Markets," Working Papers 292, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann & Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Dierk Herzer & Stephan Klasen & Adriana Cardozo, 2013. "Does foreign aid promote recipient exports to donor countries?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 149(3), pages 505-535, September.
- Gamberoni, Elisa & Lanz, Rainer & Piermartini, Roberta, 2010. "Timeliness and contract enforceability in intermediate goods trade," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5482, The World Bank.
- Behar, Alberto & Edwards, Lawrence, 2011. "How integrated is SADC ? trends in intra-regional and extra-regional trade flows and policy," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5625, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.