Productividad, competencia e innovación en la banca privada española (1900–1914)
AbstractThis study investigates the productivity differences and its sources across a set of banks during the last years of the liberal era of the Spanish banking system (1900-1914). These years were characterised by major qualitative and quantitative changes in the banking industry including a sharp increase in the size of the system, in the number of firms, and in its regional distribution. Employing DEA productivity analysis and the Malmquist index, we discover that these changes were accompanied by a generalised increase in the efficiency of least productive banks. Also, we observe that the crisis of some regional banking groups, like the Catalan, can be linked with its low productivity levels. In consequence, in the light of our productivity evidence, we conclude that the increase in competition was beneficial for the system because helped to the success of the most efficient banks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Revista de Historia Económica.
Volume (Year): 20 (2002)
Issue (Month): 03 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_RHEProvider-Email:email@example.com
Other versions of this item:
- Xavier Cuadras & Ángel S. Fernández Castro & Joan R. Rosés, 2001. "Productividad, competencia e innovación en la banca privada española (1900-1914)," Economics Working Papers 530, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- G30 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - General
- L80 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - General
- N24 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - Europe: 1913-
- N84 - Economic History - - Micro-Business History - - - Europe: 1913-
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aly, Hassan Y, et al, 1990. "Technical, Scale, and Allocative Efficiencies in U.S. Banking: An Empirical Investigation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(2), pages 211-18, May.
- repec:fth:harver:1487 is not listed on IDEAS
- José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez, 1995. "Eficiencia, Cambio Productivo Y Cambio Técnico En Los Bancos Y Cajas De Ahorro Españolas: Un Análisis Frontera No Paramétrico," Working Papers. Serie EC 1995-09, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1393-1414, November.
- Berg, Sigbjorn Atle & Forsund, Finn R. & Hjalmarsson, Lennart & Suominen, Matti, 1993. "Banking efficiency in the Nordic countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 371-388, April.
- Bjurek, Hans, 1996. " The Malmquist Total Factor Productivity Index," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 98(2), pages 303-13, June.
- Fare, Rolf, et al, 1997. " Biased Technical Change and the Malmquist Productivity Index," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 99(1), pages 119-27, March.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Rangan, Nanda & Grabowski, Richard & Aly, Hassan Y. & Pasurka, Carl, 1988. "The technical efficiency of US banks," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 169-175.
- Castañeda, Lluis & Tafunell, Xavier, 1993. "Un nuevo indicador para la historia financiera española: La cotizacion de las letras de cambio a corto plazo," Revista de Historia Económica, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(02), pages 367-383, September.
- George J. Benston, 1994. "Universal Banking," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(3), pages 121-143, Summer.
- Miller, Stephen M. & Noulas, Athanasios G., 1996. "The technical efficiency of large bank production," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 495-509, April.
- Fohlin, Caroline, 1999. "Universal Banking in Pre-World War I Germany: Model or Myth?," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 305-343, October.
- Grabowski, Richard & Rangan, Nanda & Rezvanian, Rasoul, 1994. "The effect of deregulation on the efficiency of U.S. banking firms," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 39-54, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.