Superneutrality Of Money In Staggered Wage-Setting Models
AbstractStaggered wage setting is introduced in a dynamic general-equilibrium monetary model, and the issue of superneutrality of money is addressed. This paper demonstrates that, in an optimizing framework, a mild permanent change in the rate of growth of money could have substantial effects on the steady-state aggregate level of output and welfare. Previous works fail to reproduce these results because they consider restrictively simple utility and production functions. The model exhibits high costs of inflation and provides a rationale for the pursuit of price stability observed in western countries. Therefore, in the presence of staggered adjustment, superneutrality of money proves to be a key issue, which should be taken into account in any economic model with staggered adjustment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Macroeconomic Dynamics.
Volume (Year): 2 (1998)
Issue (Month): 03 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_MDYProvider-Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995.
"Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1131, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maurice Obstfeld and Kenneth Rogoff., 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C95-048, University of California at Berkeley.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," NBER Working Papers 4693, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ball, Laurence, 1994.
"Credible Disinflation with Staggered Price-Setting,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 282-89, March.
- Laurence Ball, 1990. "Credible Disinflation with Staggered Price Setting," NBER Working Papers 3555, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cooley, T.F. & Hansen, G.D., 1988.
"The Inflation Tax In A Real Business Cycle Model,"
88-05, Rochester, Business - General.
- Thomas F. Cooley & Gary D. Hansen, 1987. "The Inflation Tax in a Real Business Cycle Model," UCLA Economics Working Papers 496, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Cooley, T.F. & Hansen, G.D., 1988. "The Inflation Tax In A Real Business Cycle Model," RCER Working Papers 155, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Taylor, John B, 1979. "Staggered Wage Setting in a Macro Model," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(2), pages 108-13, May.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Stanley Fischer, 1989. "Lectures on Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262022834, June.
- repec:nbr:nberre:0126 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rankin, Neil, 1998.
"Nominal rigidity and monetary uncertainty,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 185-199, January.
- Rankin, Neil, 1994. "Nominal Rigidity and Monetary Uncertainty," CEPR Discussion Papers 890, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rankin, N., 1993. "Nominal Rigidity and Monetary Uncertainty," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 417, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Ascari, Guido & Rankin, Neil, 1997.
"Staggered Wages and Disinflation Dynamics: What Can More Microfoundations Tell Us?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1763, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Guido Ascari & Neil Rankin, 1997. "Staggered Wages and Disinflation Dynamics: What can More Microfoundations Tell Us," Discussion Papers 97-16, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- MaCurdy, Thomas E, 1981. "An Empirical Model of Labor Supply in a Life-Cycle Setting," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(6), pages 1059-85, December.
- Peter N. Ireland, 1995.
"Optimal disinflationary paths,"
95-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro, 1987. "Monopolistic Competition and the Effects of Aggregate Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 647-66, September.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Taylor, John B, 1980.
"Aggregate Dynamics and Staggered Contracts,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(1), pages 1-23, February.
- David Romer., 1989.
"Staggered Price Setting with Endogenous Frequency of Adjustment,"
Economics Working Papers
89-115, University of California at Berkeley.
- Romer, David, 1990. "Staggered price setting with endogenous frequency of adjustment," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 205-210, March.
- David Romer, 1989. "Staggered Price Setting with Endogenous Frequency of Adjustment," NBER Working Papers 3134, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hairault, Jean-Olivier & Portier, Franck, 1993.
"Money, New-Keynesian macroeconomics and the business cycle,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1533-1568, December.
- Hairault, J.O. & Portier, F., 1992. "Money New-Keynesian Macroeconomics and the Business Cycles," Papiers d'Economie MathÃÂ©matique et Applications 92.32, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Rankin, Neil, 1995.
"Nominal Rigidity and Monetary Uncertainty in a Small Open Economy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1231, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rankin, Neil, 1998. "Nominal rigidity and monetary uncertainty in a small open economy," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 679-702, May.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 1996. "Foundations of International Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262150476, June.
- Edmund Phelps, 1978. "Disinflation without recession: Adaptive guideposts and monetary policy," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 114(4), pages 783-809, December.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.