Growth-Optimal Portfolio Restrictions On Asset Pricing Models
AbstractWe show that absence of arbitrage in frictionless markets implies a lower bound on the average of the logarithm of the reciprocal of the stochastic discount factor implicit in asset pricing models. The greatest lower boundfor a given asset menu is the average continuously compounded return on itsgrowth-optimal portfolio. We use this bound to evaluate the plausibility ofvarious parametric asset pricing models to characterize financial marketpuzzles such as the equity premium puzzle and the risk-free ratepuzzle. We show that the insights offered by the growth-optimal boundsdiffer substantially from those obtained by other nonparametric bounds.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Macroeconomic Dynamics.
Volume (Year): 1 (1997)
Issue (Month): 02 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_MDYProvider-Email:email@example.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chrétien, Stéphane, 2012. "Bounds on the autocorrelation of admissible stochastic discount factors," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 1943-1962.
- Fung, William & Hsieh, David A., 1999. "Is mean-variance analysis applicable to hedge funds?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 53-58, January.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Jose Scheinkman, 2006.
"Long Term Risk: An Operator Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
12650, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Scheinkman, José A., 2008. "Long Term Risk : An Operator Approach," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/2282, Paris Dauphine University.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Jose A Sheinkman, 2007. "Long-term Risk: An Operator Approach," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000001669, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Koijen, Ralph & Lustig, Hanno & van Nieuwerburgh, Stijn, 2012.
"The Cross-Section and Time-Series of Stock and Bond Returns,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9024, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ralph S.J. Koijen & Hanno Lustig & Stijn Van Nieuwerburgh, 2010. "The Cross-Section and Time-Series of Stock and Bond Returns," NBER Working Papers 15688, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Backus & Mikhail Chernov & Stanley E. Zin, 2011.
"Sources of Entropy in Representative Agent Models,"
NBER Working Papers
17219, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Backus, David & Chernov, Mikhail & Zin, Stanley E., 2011. "Sources of entropy in representative agent models," CEPR Discussion Papers 8488, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David Backus & Mikhail Chernov & Stanley Zin, 2011. "Sources of Entropy in Representative Agent Models," Working Papers 11-21, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Lars Peter Hansen, 2012. "Risk Pricing over Alternative Investment Horizons," Working Papers 2012-008, Becker Friedman Institute for Research In Economics.
- Vladimir Cherny & Jan Obloj, 2011. "Portfolio optimisation under non-linear drawdown constraints in a semimartingale financial model," Papers 1110.6289, arXiv.org, revised Apr 2013.
- Fernando Alvarez & Urban J. Jermann, 2001.
"The Size of the Permanent Component of Asset Pricing Kernels,"
NBER Working Papers
8360, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alvarez, Fernando & Jermann, Urban J., 2001. "The Size of the Permanent Component of Asset Pricing Kernels," Working Papers 01-4, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Ian Martin, 2011. "The Forward Premium Puzzle in a Two-Country World," NBER Working Papers 17564, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roon, F.A. de & Nijman, T.E., 1998.
"Testing for mean-variance spanning: A survey,"
1998-132, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Lars Peter Hansen, 2008. "Modeling the Long Run: Valuation in Dynamic Stochastic Economies," NBER Working Papers 14243, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.