Tariff And Equilibrium Indeterminacy: A Global Analysis
AbstractZhang (2009) shows that endogenous tariffs and endogenous labor income taxes (Schmitt-Grohe and Uribe, 1997) are equivalent in generating local indeterminacy. Using the method developed by Stockman (2009), we extend Zhang's analysis to prove that they are also equivalent in generating global indeterminacy (chaotic equilibria) under a balanced-budget rule. We show that the existence of Euler equation branching in an arbitrarily small neighborhood of a steady state can imply topological chaos in the sense of Devaney. In addition, the Euler equation branching occurs regardless of the local uniqueness of the equilibrium around the steady state(s).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Macroeconomic Dynamics.
Volume (Year): 16 (2012)
Issue (Month): S3 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_MDYProvider-Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Other versions of this item:
- Zhang, Yan & Chen, Yan, 2009. "Tariff and Equilibrium Indeterminacy - A Global Analysis," MPRA Paper 18296, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 1995.
"Balanced-budget rules, distortionary taxes, and aggregate instability,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
95-44, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Schmitt-Grohe, Stephanie & Uribe, Martin, 1997. "Balanced-Budget Rules, Distortionary Taxes, and Aggregate Instability," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(5), pages 976-1000, October.
- Luís Francisco Aguiar-Conraria & Yi Wen, 2004.
"Foreign Trade and Equilibrium Indeterminacy,"
NIPE Working Papers
5/2004, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Aguiar-Conraria, Luis & Wen, Yi, 2004. "Foreign Trade and Equilibrium Indeterminacy," Working Papers 04-09, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Luis Aguiar-Conraria & Yi Wen, 2005. "Foreign trade and equilibrium indeterminacy," Working Papers 2005-041, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Gardini, L. & Hommes, C.H. & Tramontana, F. & de Vilder, R., 2009.
"Forward and Backward Dynamics in implicitly defined Overlapping Generations Models,"
CeNDEF Working Papers
09-02, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Gardini, Laura & Hommes, Cars & Tramontana, Fabio & de Vilder, Robin, 2009. "Forward and backward dynamics in implicitly defined overlapping generations models," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 110-129, August.
- Laura Gardini & Cars Hommes & Fabio Tramontana & Robin de Vilder, 2008. "Forward and Backward Dynamics in Implicitly Defined Overlapping Generations Models," Working Papers 0806, University of Urbino Carlo Bo, Department of Economics, Society & Politics - Scientific Committee - L. Stefanini & G. Travaglini, revised 2008.
- Julio J. Rotemberg & Michael Woodford, 1993.
"Energy Taxes and Aggregate Economic Activity,"
NBER Working Papers
4576, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michener, Ronald & Ravikumar, B., 1998. "Chaotic dynamics in a cash-in-advance economy," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 1117-1137, May.
- Luís Aguiar-Conraria & Yi Wen, 2007.
"A note on oil dependence and economic instability,"
2006-060, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Luis Aguiar-Conraria & Yi Wen, 2006.
"Understanding the large negative impact of oil shocks,"
2005-042, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Luís Aguiar-Conraria & Yi Wen, 2007. "Understanding the Large Negative Impact of Oil Shocks," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(4), pages 925-944, 06.
- Stockman, David R., 2010. "Balanced-budget rules: Chaos and deterministic sunspots," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 145(3), pages 1060-1085, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.