New Indices Of British Equity Prices, 1870 1913
AbstractThis article presents new annual price indices of equities traded on British exchanges for the period 1870 1913, as a replacement for Smith and Horne s widely used index. The data set contains 40,677 observations on 3,103 securities issued by 2,740 companies, providing substantially broader coverage of the market: from 520 to 1,150 issues per year, compared with Smith and Horne s 25 to 77 securities. In addition, the data set contains information on shares outstanding, par values, and dividends, allowing the construction of weighted and unweighted return indices and price dividend ratios. The new database suggests an agenda for further research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal The Journal of Economic History.
Volume (Year): 62 (2002)
Issue (Month): 01 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_JEHProvider-Email:email@example.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Annaert, Jan & Buelens, Frans & De Ceuster, Marc J.K., 2012. "New Belgian Stock Market Returns: 1832–1914," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 189-204.
- Jakob Madsen & Costas Milas, 2005.
"The Price-Dividend Relationship In Inflationary And Deflationary Regimes,"
- Madsen, Jakob B. & Milas, Costas, 2005. "The price-dividend relationship in inflationary and deflationary regimes," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 260-269, December.
- Jakob B Madsen & Costas Milas, 2005. "The price-dividend relationship in inflationary and deflationary regimes," Keele Economics Research Papers KERP 2005/09, Centre for Economic Research, Keele University.
- Madsen, J. B. & Milas, C., 2003. "The price-dividend relationship in inflationary and deflationary regimes," Working Papers 03/05, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Barrett, Alan & Kearney, Ide & O'Brien, Martin, 2007. "Quarterly Economic Commentary, Summer 2007," Forecasting Report, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number QEC20072, March.
- Brian Mitchell & David Chambers & Nick Crafts, 2011.
"How good was the profitability of British railways, 1870–1912?,"
Economic History Review,
Economic History Society, vol. 64(3), pages 798-831, 08.
- Brian Mitchell & David Chambers & Nicholas Crafts, 2008. "How Good was the Profitability of British Railways, 1870-1912?," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 859, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Goetzmann, W. & Renneboog, L.D.R. & Spaenjers, C., 2010.
"Art and Money,"
2010-08, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Goetzmann, W. & Renneboog, L.D.R. & Spaenjers, C., 2010. "Art and Money," Discussion Paper 2010-002, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- William N. Goetzmann & Luc Renneboog & Christophe Spaenjers, 2009. "Art and Money," NBER Working Papers 15502, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William Goetzmann & Luc Renneboog & Christophe Spaenjers, 2009. "Art and Money," Yale School of Management Working Papers amz2426, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Jan 2010.
- Richard S. Grossman & Masami Imai, 2011. "Contingent Capital and Bank Risk-Taking among British Banks before World War I," Wesleyan Economics Working Papers 2011-003, Wesleyan University, Department of Economics.
- Acheson, Graeme & Campbell, Gareth & Turner, John D. & Vanteeva, Nadia, 2014.
"Corporate Ownership and Control in Victorian Britain,"
QUCEH Working Paper Series
14-01, Queen's University Centre for Economic History, Queen's University Belfast.
- Acheson, Graeme G. & Campbell, Gareth & Turner, John D. & Vanteeva, Nadia, 2014. "Corporate ownership and control in Victorian Britain," eabh Papers 14-02, The European Association for Banking and Financial History (EABH).
- Whelan, Shane, 2007. "Valuing Ireland's Pension System," Quarterly Economic Commentary: Special Articles, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), vol. 2007(2-Summer), pages 55-80.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.