AbstractStandard risk measures, such as the Value-at-Risk (VaR), or the Expected Shortfall, have to be estimated and their estimated counterparts are subject to estimation uncertainty. Replacing, in the theoretical formulas, the true parameter value by an estimator based on n observations of the Profit and Loss variable, induces an asymptotic bias of order 1/n in the coverage probabilities. This paper shows how to correct for this bias by introducing a new estimator of the VaR, called Estimation adjusted VaR (EVaR). This adjustment allows for a joint treatment of theoretical and estimation risks, taking into account for their possible dependence. The estimator is derived for a general parametric dynamic model and is particularized to stochastic drift and volatility models. The finite sample properties of the EVaR estimator are studied by simulation and an empirical study of the S&P Index is proposed
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Econometric Theory.
Volume (Year): 29 (2013)
Issue (Month): 04 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECTProvider-Email:email@example.com
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hang Chan, Ngai & Deng, Shi-Jie & Peng, Liang & Xia, Zhendong, 2007. "Interval estimation of value-at-risk based on GARCH models with heavy-tailed innovations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 556-576, April.
- Jeremy Berkowitz & Peter Christoffersen & Denis Pelletier, 2011.
"Evaluating Value-at-Risk Models with Desk-Level Data,"
INFORMS, vol. 57(12), pages 2213-2227, December.
- Jeremy Berkowitz & Peter Christoffersen & Denis Pelletier, 2005. "Evaluating Value-at-Risk models with desk-level data," Working Paper Series 010, North Carolina State University, Department of Economics, revised Dec 2006.
- Peter Christoffersen & Jeremy Berkowitz & Denis Pelletier, 2008. "Evaluating Value-at-Risk Models with Desk-Level Data," CREATES Research Papers 2009-35, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Engle, Robert F & Lilien, David M & Robins, Russell P, 1987. "Estimating Time Varying Risk Premia in the Term Structure: The Arch-M Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 391-407, March.
- Marcus J Chambers, 2010.
"Jackknife Estimation of Stationary Autoregressive Models,"
Economics Discussion Papers
684, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Chambers, Marcus J., 2013. "Jackknife estimation of stationary autoregressive models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 172(1), pages 142-157.
- Bao, Yong & Ullah, Aman, 2004. "Bias of a Value-at-Risk estimator," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 241-249, December.
- Dufour, J.M. & Kiviet, J.F., 1995.
"Exact Tests in Single Equation Autoregressive Distributed Lag Models,"
Cahiers de recherche
9549, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Kiviet, Jan F. & Dufour, Jean-Marie, 1997. "Exact tests in single equation autoregressive distributed lag models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 325-353, October.
- Dufour, J.M. & Kiviet, J.F., 1995. "Exact Tests in Single Equation Autoregressive Distributed Lag Models," Cahiers de recherche 9549, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Escanciano, J. Carlos & Olmo, Jose, 2010.
"Backtesting Parametric Value-at-Risk With Estimation Risk,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 28(1), pages 36-51.
- Juan Carlos Escanciano & Jose Olmo, 2007. "Backtesting Parametric Value-at-Risk with Estimation Risk," Caepr Working Papers 2007-005_updated, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- J. Carlos Escanciano & Jose Olmo, 2011. "Robust Backtesting Tests for Value-at-risk Models," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 9(1), pages 132-161, Winter.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christophe Hurlin & Sebastien Laurent & Rogier Quaedvlieg & Stephan Smeekes, 2013. "Risk Measure Inference," Working Papers halshs-00877279, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.