Fixed-B Asymptotics For The Studentized Mean From Time Series With Short, Long, Or Negative Memory
AbstractThis paper considers the problem of distribution estimation for the studentized sample mean in the context of Long Memory and Negative Memory time series dynamics, adopting the fixed-bandwidth approach now popular in the econometrics literature. The distribution theory complements the Short Memory results of Kiefer and Vogelsang (2005). In particular, our results highlight the dependence on the employed kernel, whether or not the taper is nonzero at the boundary, and most importantly whether or not the process has short memory. We also demonstrate that small-bandwidth approaches fail when long memory or negative memory is present since the limiting distribution is either a point mass at zero or degenerate. Extensive numerical work provides approximations to the quantiles of the asymptotic distribution for a range of tapers and memory parameters; these quantiles can be used in practice for the construction of confidence intervals and hypothesis tests for the mean of the time series.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Econometric Theory.
Volume (Year): 28 (2012)
Issue (Month): 02 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECTProvider-Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Other versions of this item:
- Politis, D N & McElroy, Tucker S, 2009. "Fixed-b asymptotics for the studentized mean from time series with short, long or negative memory," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt70c4x0sq, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicholas M. Kiefer & Timothy J. Vogelsang & Helle Bunzel, 2000.
"Simple Robust Testing of Regression Hypotheses,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(3), pages 695-714, May.
- Hurvich, Clifford M., 2002. "Multistep forecasting of long memory series using fractional exponential models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 167-179.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M. & Vogelsang, Timothy J., 2005.
"A New Asymptotic Theory For Heteroskedasticity-Autocorrelation Robust Tests,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(06), pages 1130-1164, December.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M. & Vogelsang, Timothy J., 2005. "A New Asymptotic Theory for Heteroskedasticity-Autocorrelation Robust Tests," Working Papers 05-08, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- McElroy, Tucker S. & Politis, Dimitris N., 2012.
"Distribution Theory for the Studentized Mean for Long, Short, and Negative Memory Time Series,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt35c7r55c, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- McElroy, Tucker & Politis, Dimitris N., 2013. "Distribution theory for the studentized mean for long, short, and negative memory time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 177(1), pages 60-74.
- McElroy, Tucker S & Politis, D N, 2011. "Distribution Theory for the Studentized Mean for Long, Short, and Negative Memory Time Series," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt0dr145dt, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Politis, Dimitris, 2012. "On The Behavior Of Nonparametric Density And Spectral Density Estimators At Zero Points Of Their Support," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt40g0z0tz, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- McElroy, Tucker & Politis, Dimitris, 2013. "Spectral Density and Spectral Distribution Inference for Long Memory Time Series via Fixed-b Asymptotics," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt6164c110, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.