Cointegration For Periodically Integrated Processes
AbstractIntegration for seasonal time series can take the form of seasonal periodic or nonperiodic integration. When seasonal time series are periodically integrated, we show that any cointegration is either full periodic cointegration or full nonperiodic cointegration, with no possibility of cointegration applying for only some seasons. In contrast, seasonally integrated series can be seasonally, periodically or nonperiodically cointegrated, with the possibility of cointegration applying for a subset of seasons. Cointegration tests are analyzed for periodically integrated series. A residual-based test is examined, and its asymptotic distribution is derived under the null hypothesis of no cointegration. A Monte Carlo analysis shows good performance in terms of size and power. The role of deterministic terms in the cointegrating test regression is also investigated. Further, we show that the asymptotic distribution of the error-correction test for periodic cointegration derived by Boswijk and Franses (1995, Review of Economics and Statistics 77, 436 454) does not apply for periodically integrated processes.The authors gratefully acknowledge the comments of participants at the conference on Unit Root and Cointegration Testing, University of the Algave, September October 2005, and they particularly thank two anonymous referees and Helmut L tkepohl (co-editor of this issue of Econometric Theory) for their constructive comments, which have substantially improved the generality of the results in the paper. Tom s del Barrio Castro acknowledges financial support from Ministerio de Educaci n y Ciencia SEJ2005-07781 ECON.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Econometric Theory.
Volume (Year): 24 (2008)
Issue (Month): 01 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECTProvider-Email:email@example.com
Other versions of this item:
- Tomas del Barrio Castro & Denise R Osborn, 2005. "Cointegration for Periodically Integrated Processes," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0522, Economics, The University of Manchester.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hylleberg, S. & Engle, R. F. & Granger, C. W. J. & Yoo, B. S., 1990.
"Seasonal integration and cointegration,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 215-238.
- Hyllerberg, S. & Engle, R.F. & Granger, C.W.J. & Yoo, B.S., 1988. "Seasonal Integration And Cointegration," Papers 0-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Hylleberg, S. & Engle, R.F. & Granger, C.W.J. & Yoo, B.S., 1988. "Seasonal, Integration And Cointegration," Papers 6-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Franses, Philip Hans, 1994. "A multivariate approach to modeling univariate seasonal time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 133-151, July.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1992.
"Efficient estimation and testing of cointegrating vectors in the presence of deterministic trends,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 87-121.
- Tom Doan, . "POTEST: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Ouliaris-Hansen test for Cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTS00247, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "POTESTRESIDS: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Ouliaris-Hansen test for Cointegration on 1st stage residuals," Statistical Software Components RTS00248, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "FM: RATS procedure to estimate cointegrating vectors using Fully Modified Least Squares," Statistical Software Components RTS00069, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Haldrup, Niels & Hylleberg, Svend & Pons, Gabriel & Sanso, Andreu, 2007. "Common Periodic Correlation Features and the Interaction of Stocks and Flows in Daily Airport Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 25, pages 21-32, January.
- Gianluca Cubadda, 2000.
"Complex Reduced Rank Models for Seasonally Cointegrated Time Series,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0092, Econometric Society.
- Cubadda, Gianluca, 2001. " Complex Reduced Rank Models for Seasonally Cointegrated Time Series," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 63(4), pages 497-511, September.
- Franses, Philip Hans, 1993. "A method to select between periodic cointegration and seasonal cointegration," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 7-10.
- Johansen, Soren & Schaumburg, Ernst, 1998.
"Likelihood analysis of seasonal cointegration,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 301-339, November.
- Peter Boswijk, H., 1994. "Testing for an unstable root in conditional and structural error correction models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 37-60, July.
- Ghysels,Eric & Osborn,Denise R., 2001.
"The Econometric Analysis of Seasonal Time Series,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521565882, November.
- Boswijk, H Peter & Franses, Philip Hans, 1995. "Periodic Cointegration: Representation and Inference," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(3), pages 436-54, August.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Lee, Hahn Shik, 1992. "Maximum likelihood inference on cointegration and seasonal cointegration," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 1-47.
- Richard Paap & Philip Hans Franses, 1999. "On trends and constants in periodic autoregressions," Econometric Reviews, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 271-286.
- repec:aah:aarhec:1990-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Birchenhall, C R, et al, 1989. "A Seasonal Model of Consumption," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(397), pages 837-43, September.
- Osborn, Denise R., 1991. "The implications of periodically varying coefficients for seasonal time-series processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 373-384, June.
- David R. Bell & Ronald C. Griffin, 2011. "Urban Water Demand with Periodic Error Correction," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 87(3), pages 528-544.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.