ASYMPTOTICS OF THE QMLE FOR A CLASS OF ARCH(q) MODELS
AbstractStrong consistency and asymptotic normality are established for the quasi-maximum likelihood estimator for a class of ARCH(q) models. The conditions are that the ARCH process is geometrically ergodic with a moment of arbitrarily small order. Furthermore for consistency, we assume that the second-order moment exists for the nondegenerate rescaled errors and, similarly, that the fourth-order moment exists for asymptotic normality to hold. Contrary to existing literature on (G)ARCH models the parameter space is not assumed to be compact; we only impose a lower bound for the constant term in our parameterization of the conditional variance. It is demonstrated that the general conditions are satisfied for a range of specific models.We are grateful to the editor and the referees for their very helpful and detailed suggestions, which, we believe, improved the paper substantially. We thank S ren T. Jensen for stimulating discussions and Jonathan Dennis for helpful research assistance. Rahbek acknowledges continuing financial support from the Danish Social Sciences Research Council. Kristensen received funding from the Danish Research Agency and the Financial Markets Group, LSE, during this research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Econometric Theory.
Volume (Year): 21 (2005)
Issue (Month): 05 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECTProvider-Email:email@example.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Peter Reinhard Hansen & Zhuo Huang, 2012.
"Exponential GARCH Modeling with Realized Measures of Volatility,"
CREATES Research Papers
2012-44, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Peter Reinhard Hansen & Zhuo Huang, 2012. "Exponential GARCH Modeling with Realized Measures of Volatility," Economics Working Papers ECO2012/26, European University Institute.
- Stanislav Anatolyev, 2006.
"Dynamic modeling under linear-exponential loss,"
w0092, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Kristensen, Dennis & Shin, Yongseok, 2012.
"Estimation of dynamic models with nonparametric simulated maximum likelihood,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 76-94.
- Dennis Kristensen & Yongseok Shin, 2008. "Estimation of Dynamic Models with Nonparametric Simulated Maximum Likelihood," CREATES Research Papers 2008-58, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Heejoon Han & Dennis Kristensen, 2013.
"Asymptotic theory for the QMLE in GARCH-X models with stationary and non-stationary covariates,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP18/13, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Heejoon Han & Dennis Kristensen, 2012. "Asymptotic Theory for the QMLE in GARCH-X Models with Stationary and Non-Stationary Covariates," CREATES Research Papers 2012-25, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Dennis Kristensen & Bernard Salanie, 2010.
"Higher Order Improvements for Approximate Estimators,"
0910-15, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Dennis Kristensen & Bernard Salanié, 2010. "Higher Order Improvements for Approximate Estimators," CAM Working Papers 2010-04, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2010.
"Parameter estimation in nonlinear AR–GARCH models,"
KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers
1002, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008. "Parameter estimation in nonlinear AR-GARCH models," CREATES Research Papers 2008-30, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008. "Parameter Estimation in Nonlinear AR-GARCH Models," Economics Working Papers ECO2008/25, European University Institute.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008. "Parameter estimation in nonlinear AR-GARCH models," Economics Series Working Papers 396, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Giuseppe Cavaliere & Anders Rahbek & A.M.Robert Taylor, 2009.
"Co-integration Rank Testing under Conditional Heteroskedasticity,"
CREATES Research Papers
2009-22, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Cavaliere, Giuseppe & Rahbek, Anders & Taylor, A.M. Robert, 2010. "Cointegration Rank Testing Under Conditional Heteroskedasticity," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(06), pages 1719-1760, December.
- Giuseppe Cavaliere & Anders Rahbek & A. M. Robert Taylor, 2009. "Co-integration rank tests under conditional heteroskedasticity," Discussion Papers 09/02, University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics.
- Kristensen, Dennis, 2010.
"Pseudo-maximum likelihood estimation in two classes of semiparametric diffusion models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 156(2), pages 239-259, June.
- Dennis Kristensen, 2009. "Pseudo-Maximum Likelihood Estimation in Two Classes of Semiparametric Diffusion Models," CREATES Research Papers 2009-41, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Hafner, Christian M. & Preminger, Arie, 2009. "On asymptotic theory for multivariate GARCH models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(9), pages 2044-2054, October.
- Iglesias, Emma M., 2006. "Higher-order asymptotic properties of QML in [beta]-ARCH and [mu]-ARCH models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 261-266, November.
- Dennis Kristensen & Bernard Salanie, 2013. "Higher-order properties of approximate estimators," CeMMAP working papers CWP45/13, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Kristensen, Dennis & Rahbek, Anders, 2010. "Likelihood-based inference for cointegration with nonlinear error-correction," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 158(1), pages 78-94, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.