Adaptive Testing In Continuous-Time Diffusion Models
AbstractWe propose an optimal test procedure for testing the marginal density functions of a class of nonlinear diffusion processes. The proposed test is not only an optimal one but also avoids undersmoothing. An adaptive test is constructed, and its asymptotic properties are investigated. To show the asymptotic properties, we establish some general results for moment inequalities and asymptotic distributions for strictly stationary processes under the -mixing condition. These results are applicable to some other estimation and testing of strictly stationary processes with the -mixing condition. An example of implementation is given to demonstrate that the proposed model specification procedure is applicable to economic and financial model specification and can be implemented in practice. To ensure the applicability and implementation, we propose a computer-intensive simulation scheme for the choice of a suitable bandwidth involved in the kernel estimation and also a simulated critical value for the proposed adaptive test. Our finite sample studies support both the proposed theory and the simulation procedure.The authors thank the co-editor and three anonymous referees for their constructive comments and suggestions. The first author also thanks Song Xi Chen for some constructive suggestions, in particular the suggestion on using the local linear form instead of the Nadaraya Watson kernel form in equation (2.6), and Yongmiao Hong for sending a working paper. The authors acknowledge comments from seminar participants at the International Chinese Statistical Association Meeting in Hong Kong in July 2001, the Western Australian Branch Meeting of the Statistical Society of Australia in September 2001, the University of Western Australia, and Monash University. Thanks also go to the Australian Research Council for its financial support.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Econometric Theory.
Volume (Year): 20 (2004)
Issue (Month): 05 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECTProvider-Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gao, Jiti & Hong, Yongmiao, 2007. "Central limit theorems for weighted quadratic forms of dependent processes with applications in specification testing," MPRA Paper 11977, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Dec 2007.
- Zhao, Zhibiao, 2010. "Density estimation for nonlinear parametric models with conditional heteroscedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 155(1), pages 71-82, March.
- Gao, Jiti, 2007. "Nonlinear time series: semiparametric and nonparametric methods," MPRA Paper 39563, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Sep 2007.
- repec:wyi:journl:002142 is not listed on IDEAS
- Song Xi Chen & Jiti Gao, 2010. "Simultaneous Testing of Mean and Variance Structures in Nonlinear Time Series Models," School of Economics Working Papers 2010-28, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Arapis, Manuel & Gao, Jiti, 2004.
"Empirical comparisons in short-term interest rate models using nonparametric methods,"
11974, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 23 Dec 2005.
- Manuel Arapis & Jiti Gao, 2006. "Empirical Comparisons in Short-Term Interest Rate Models Using Nonparametric Methods," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(2), pages 310-345.
- Patrick W Saart & Jiti Gao & Nam Hyun Kim, 2014. "Econometric Time Series Specification Testing in a Class of Multiplicative Error Models," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 1/14, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Pipat Wongsaart & Jiti Gao, 2011. "Nonparametric Kernel Testing in Semiparametric Autoregressive Conditional Duration Model," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 18/11, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Chen, Bin & Hong, Yongmiao, 2011. "Generalized spectral testing for multivariate continuous-time models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 164(2), pages 268-293, October.
- Gao, Jiti & Casas, Isabel, 2008.
"Specification testing in discretized diffusion models: Theory and practice,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 131-140, November.
- Gao, Jiti & Casas, Isabel, 2006. "Specification testing in discretized diffusion models: Theory and practice," MPRA Paper 11980, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Aug 2007.
- Zhao, Zhibiao, 2011. "Nonparametric model validations for hidden Markov models with applications in financial econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 162(2), pages 225-239, June.
- Gao, Jiti & Lu, Zudi & Tjøstheim, Dag, 2008. "Moment inequalities for spatial processes," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(6), pages 687-697, April.
- Patrick Saart & Jiti Gao, 2012. "Semiparametric Methods in Nonlinear Time Series Analysis: A Selective Review," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 21/12, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Péter Farkas, 2013. "Counting Process Generated by Boundary-crossing Events. Theory and Statistical Applications," CEU Working Papers 2013_4, Department of Economics, Central European University.
- Jansen, Dennis W. & Li, Qi & Wang, Zijun & Yang, Jian, 2008. "Fiscal policy and asset markets: A semiparametric analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 141-150, November.
- Monsalve-Cobis, Abelardo & González-Manteiga, Wenceslao & Febrero-Bande, Manuel, 2011. "Goodness-of-fit test for interest rate models: An approach based on empirical processes," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(12), pages 3073-3092, December.
- Gao, Jiti & Gijbels, Irene & Van Bellegem, Sebastien, 2008. "Nonparametric simultaneous testing for structural breaks," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 123-142, March.
- Jiti Gao & Maxwell King, 2011. "A New Test in Parametric Linear Models against Nonparametric Autoregressive Errors," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 20/11, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- repec:wyi:journl:002117 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.