Generalized Empirical Likelihood Based Model Selection Criteria For Moment Condition Models
AbstractThis paper proposes model selection criteria (MSC) for unconditional moment models using generalized empirical likelihood (GEL) statistics. The use of GEL-statistics in lieu of J-statistics (in the spirit of Andrews, 1999, Econometrica 67, 543 564; and Andrews and Lu, 2001, Journal of Econometrics 101, 123 164) leads to an alternative interpretation of the MSCs that emphasizes the common information-theoretic rationale underlying model selection procedures for both parametric and semiparametric models. The result of this paper also provides a GEL-based model selection alternative to the information criteria based nonnested tests for generalized method of moments models considered in Kitamura (2000, University of Wisconsin). The results of a Monte Carlo experiment are reported to illustrate the finite-sample performance of the selection criteria and their impact on parameter estimation.The authors gratefully acknowledge support from the NSF (Hong: SES-0079495, Shum: SES-0003352) and the Fellowship of Woodrow Wilson Scholars (Preston). We thank the co-editor Don Andrews, Xiaohong Chen, John Geweke, Bo Honore, Yuichi Kitamura, Serena Ng, Harry Paarsch, Gautam Tripathi, and two anonymous referees for insightful suggestions and helpful comments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Econometric Theory.
Volume (Year): 19 (2003)
Issue (Month): 06 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECTProvider-Email:email@example.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Timo Mitze, 2010.
"Estimating Gravity Models of International Trade with Correlated Time-Fixed Regressors: To IV or not IV?,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2010_22, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Mitze, Timo, 2010. "Estimating Gravity Models of International Trade with Correlated Time-Fixed Regressors: To IV or not IV?," MPRA Paper 23540, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Xu Cheng & Zhipeng Liao, 2012. "Select the Valid and Relevant Moments: A One-Step Procedure for GMM with Many Moments," PIER Working Paper Archive 12-045, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Hong, Han & Preston, Bruce, 2012.
"Bayesian averaging, prediction and nonnested model selection,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 167(2), pages 358-369.
- Han Hong & Bruce Preston, 2008. "Bayesian Averaging, Prediction and Nonnested Model Selection," NBER Working Papers 14284, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 2007. "Least Squares Model Averaging," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(4), pages 1175-1189, 07.
- Susanne M. Schennach, 2007. "Point estimation with exponentially tilted empirical likelihood," Papers 0708.1874, arXiv.org.
- Matteo Barigozzi & Roxana Halbleib & David Veredas, 2012.
"Which model to match?,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
1229, Banco de Espa�a.
- Feng, Qiang, 2012. "A GEL-based AIC for model selection," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 116(3), pages 637-639.
- Judge, George G. & Mittelhammer, Ron C., 2007. "Estimation and inference in the case of competing sets of estimating equations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 138(2), pages 513-531, June.
- Almeida, Caio & Garcia, René, 2012. "Assessing misspecified asset pricing models with empirical likelihood estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 170(2), pages 519-537.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 2005. "Challenges For Econometric Model Selection," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(01), pages 60-68, February.
- Taisuke Otsu & Myung Hwan Seo & Yoon-Jae Whang, 2008.
"Testing for Non-Nested Conditional Moment Restrictions Using Unconditional Empirical Likelihood,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1660, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Otsu, Taisuke & Seo, Myung Hwan & Whang, Yoon-Jae, 2012. "Testing for non-nested conditional moment restrictions using unconditional empirical likelihood," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 167(2), pages 370-382.
- Timo Mitze, 2009. "Endogeneity in Panel Data Models with Time-Varying and Time-Fixed Regressors: To IV or not IV?," Ruhr Economic Papers 0083, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.