Statistical Inference In Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models With Nonlinear Time Trends In Cointegrating Relations
AbstractThis paper continues the work of Saikkonen (2001, Econometric Theory 17, 296 326) and develops an asymptotic theory of statistical inference in cointegrated vector autoregressive models with nonlinear time trends in cointegrating relations and general nonlinear parameter restrictions. Inference on parameters in cointegrating relations and short-run dynamics is studied separately. It is shown that Gaussian maximum likelihood estimators of parameters in cointegrating relations have mixed normal limiting distributions and that related Wald, Lagrange multiplier, and likelihood ratio tests for general nonlinear hypotheses have usual asymptotic chi-square distributions. These results are shown to hold even if parameters in the short-run dynamics are not identified. In that case suitable estimators of the information matrix have to be used to justify the application of Wald and Lagrange multiplier tests, whereas the likelihood ratio test is free of this difficulty. Similar results are also obtained when inference on parameters in the short-run dynamics is studied, although then Gaussian maximum likelihood estimators have usual normal limiting distributions. All results of the paper are proved without assuming existence of second partial derivatives of the likelihood function, and in some cases even differentiability with respect to nuisance parameters is not required.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Econometric Theory.
Volume (Year): 17 (2001)
Issue (Month): 02 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECTProvider-Email:email@example.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marçal, Emerson Fernandes & Valls Pereira, Pedro L., 2012. "Evaluating the existence of structural change in the brazilian term structure of interest : evidence based on cointegration models with structural break," Textos para discussÃ£o 314, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Bruggemann, Ralf & Lutkepohl, Helmut & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2006.
"Residual autocorrelation testing for vector error correction models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 579-604, October.
- Ralf BRUEGGEMANN & Helmut LUETKEPOHL & Pentti SAIKKONEN, 2004. "Residual Autocorrelation Testing for Vector Error Correction Models," Economics Working Papers ECO2004/08, European University Institute.
- Chambers, Marcus J. & Roderick McCrorie, J., 2007. "Frequency domain estimation of temporally aggregated Gaussian cointegrated systems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 1-29, January.
- Chambers, M.J. & McCrorie, J.R., 2004. "Frequency Domain Gaussian Estimation of Temporally Aggregated Cointegrated Systems," Discussion Paper 2004-40, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Juhl, Ted & Xiao, Zhijie, 2005. "A nonparametric test for changing trends," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 127(2), pages 179-199, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.