Deriving The Exact Discrete Analog Of A Continuous Time System
AbstractThe exact discrete model satisfied by equispaced data generated by a linear stochastic differential equations system is derived by a method that does not imply restrictions on observed discrete data per se. The method involves integrating the solution of the continuous time model in state space form and a nonstandard change in the order of three types of integration, facilitating the representation of the exact discrete model as an asymptotically time-invariant vector autoregressive moving average model. The method applying to the state space form is general and is illustrated using the prototypical higher order model for mixed stock and flow data discussed by Bergstrom (1986, Econometric Theory 2, 350 373).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Econometric Theory.
Volume (Year): 16 (2000)
Issue (Month): 06 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECTProvider-Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- McCrorie, J.R. & Chambers, M.J., 2004.
"Granger Causality and the Sampling of Economic Processes,"
2004-39, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- McCrorie, J. Roderick & Chambers, Marcus J., 2006. "Granger causality and the sampling of economic processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 311-336, June.
- Jewitt, Giles & Roderick McCrorie, J., 2005. "Computing estimates of continuous time macroeconometric models on the basis of discrete data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 397-416, April.
- Marcus J. Chambers, 2011.
"Cointegration and sampling frequency,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 14(2), pages 156-185, 07.
- Eric Ghysels & Pedro Santa-Clara & Rossen Valkanov, 2004. "The MIDAS Touch: Mixed Data Sampling Regression Models," CIRANO Working Papers 2004s-20, CIRANO.
- Roderick McCrorie, J., 2001. "Interpolating exogenous variables in continuous time dynamic models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 1399-1427, September.
- Ghysels, Eric & Santa-Clara, Pedro & Valkanov, Rossen, 2004. "The MIDAS Touch: Mixed Data Sampling Regression Models," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt9mf223rs, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.