A Consistent Test Of Conditional Parametric Distributions
AbstractThis paper proposes a new nonparametric test for conditional parametric distribution functions based on the first-order linear expansion of the Kullback Leibler information function and the kernel estimation of the underlying distributions. The test statistic is shown to be asymptotically distributed standard normal under the null hypothesis that the parametric distribution is correctly specified, whereas asymptotically rejecting the null with probability one if the parametric distribution is misspecified. The test is also shown to have power against any local alternatives approaching the null at rates slower than the parametric rate n 1/2. The finite sample performance of the test is evaluated via a Monte Carlo simulation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Econometric Theory.
Volume (Year): 16 (2000)
Issue (Month): 05 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECTProvider-Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Stute, Winfried, 2008.
"Distribution-free specification tests of conditional models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 37-55, March.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Stute, Winfried, . "Distribution-free specification tests of conditional models," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/2495, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Fuchun Li & Greg Tkacz, 2001. "A Consistent Bootstrap Test for Conditional Density Functions with Time-Dependent Data," Working Papers 01-21, Bank of Canada.
- Qi Li & Jeffrey Scott Racine, 2006. "Nonparametric Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8355, February.
- Juan Mora & Antonia Febrer, 2005. "Wage Distribution In Spain, 1994-1999: An Application Of A Flexible Estimator Of Conditional Distributions," Working Papers. Serie EC 2005-04, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Zheng, Xu, 2008. "Testing for discrete choice models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 176-184, February.
- Marcelo Fernandes & Breno Neri, 2010.
"Nonparametric Entropy-Based Tests of Independence Between Stochastic Processes,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(3), pages 276-306.
- Fernandes, Marcelo, 2001. "Nonparametric Entropy-Based Tests of Independence Between Stochastic Processes," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 413, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Michael P. Clements & Philip Hans Franses & Norman R. Swanson, 2003.
"Forecasting economic and financial time-series with non-linear models,"
Departmental Working Papers
200309, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Clements, Michael P. & Franses, Philip Hans & Swanson, Norman R., 2004. "Forecasting economic and financial time-series with non-linear models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 169-183.
- Febrer, Antonia & Mora, Juan, 2009. "Flexible estimation of wage distributions in the presence of covariates," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 2189-2200, April.
- Li, Fuchun & Tkacz, Greg, 2006. "A consistent bootstrap test for conditional density functions with time-series data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 863-886, August.
- Stefania D'Amico, 2004. "Density Estimation and Combination under Model Ambiguity," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 273, Society for Computational Economics.
- Wu, Edmond H.C. & Yu, Philip L.H. & Li, W.K., 2009. "A smoothed bootstrap test for independence based on mutual information," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 2524-2536, May.
- Stefania D'Amico, 2005. "Density selection and combination under model ambiguity: an application to stock returns," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2005-09, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.