An Autoregressive Spectral Density Estimator At Frequency Zero For Nonstationarity Tests
AbstractMany unit root and cointegration tests require an estimate of the spectral density function at frequency zero of some process. Commonly used are kernel estimators based on weighted sums of autocovariances constructed using estimated residuals from an AR(1) regression. However, it is known that with substantially correlated errors, the OLS estimate of the AR(1) parameter is severely biased. In this paper, we first show that this least-squares bias induces a significant increase in the bias and mean-squared error (MSE) of kernel-based estimators. We then consider a variant of the autoregressive spectral density estimator that does not share these shortcomings because it bypasses the use of the estimate from the AR(1) regression. Simulations and local asymptotic analyses show its bias and MSE to be much smaller than those of a kernel-based estimator when there is strong negative serial correlation. We also include a discussion about the appropriate choice of the truncation lag.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Econometric Theory.
Volume (Year): 14 (1998)
Issue (Month): 05 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECTProvider-Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Other versions of this item:
- Perron, P. & Ng, S., 1996. "An Autoregressive Spectral Density Estimator at Frequency Zero for Nonstationarity Tests," Cahiers de recherche 9611, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Perron, P. & Ng, S., 1996. "An Autoregressive Spectral Density Estimator at Frequency Zero for Nonstationarity Tests," Cahiers de recherche 9611, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C19 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Other
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.