Efficient Estimation of Moment Condition Models with Heterogenous Populations
AbstractA wide range of econometric and statistical models are specified through moment conditions. Efficient estimation of such models essentially employs two distinct ideas: optimally combining estimation equations (e.g., the optimal estimating equations of Godambe (1976), the generalized method of moments of Hansen (1982) and the empirical likelihood of Qin and Lawless (1994)), and optimally combining estimators (e.g., the weighted method of moments of Xiao (2010)). This paper extends these methods to moment condition models with heterogeneous populations. Comparison of the finite sample performance of the proposed estimators is conducted through Monte Carlo simulations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for AEF in its journal Annals of Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 12 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
Moment condition models; Heterogenous populations; Optimal estimating equations; Generalized method of moments; Weighted method of moments; Empirical likelihood;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Girma, Sourafel, 2000. "A quasi-differencing approach to dynamic modelling from a time series of independent cross-sections," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 365-383, October.
- Whitney K. Newey & Richard J. Smith, 2004.
"Higher Order Properties of Gmm and Generalized Empirical Likelihood Estimators,"
Econometrica, Econometric Society,
Econometric Society, vol. 72(1), pages 219-255, 01.
- Whitney Newey & Richard Smith, 2003. "Higher order properties of GMM and generalised empirical likelihood estimators," CeMMAP working papers, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies CWP04/03, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Yuichi Kitamura, 2006. "Empirical Likelihood Methods in Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University 1569, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- K. Jöreskog, 1971. "Simultaneous factor analysis in several populations," Psychometrika, Springer, Springer, vol. 36(4), pages 409-426, December.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Lewis M. Segal, 1994.
"Small Sample Bias in GMM Estimation of Covariance Structures,"
NBER Technical Working Papers, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc
0156, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Altonji, Joseph G & Segal, Lewis M, 1996. "Small-Sample Bias in GMM Estimation of Covariance Structures," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(3), pages 353-66, July.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Lewis M. Segal, 1994. "Small sample bias in GMM estimation of covariance structures," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago 94-8, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Xiao, Zhiguo, 2010. "The weighted method of moments approach for moment condition models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 183-186, May.
- Yuichi Kitamura, 2006. "Empirical Likelihood Methods in Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Levine's Bibliography 321307000000000307, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Imbens, Guido W, 2002. "Generalized Method of Moments and Empirical Likelihood," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(4), pages 493-506, October.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Bengt Muthén, 1989. "Latent variable modeling in heterogeneous populations," Psychometrika, Springer, Springer, vol. 54(4), pages 557-585, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Qiang Gao).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.