Crisis and the Poor: Socially Responsible Macroeconomics
AbstractMacroeconomic crises not only affect the current living standards of the poor, but their ability to grow out of poverty. This paper presents evidence on the impact of economic crisis on poverty and inequality in Latin America. Crises not only result in higher poverty rates but may cause irreversible damage to the human capital of the poor. In light of this evidence, the author concludes that crisis avoidance and a propoor response to crisis should be a major component of a poverty reduction strategy. Therefore, the role of exchange rate policy, capital controls and counter-cyclical fiscal policy in generating or avoiding crisis analyzed. Responses to macroeconomic crisis are assessed by considering the effects of different policy combinations, the use of safety nets and the composition of fiscal adjustment to protect the income of the poor in the face of macroeconomic adjustment. The main lesson is that socially responsible macroeconomic policy can protect the poor during times of crisis and simultaneously contribute to lower chronic poverty.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION in its journal Journal of LACEA Economia.
Volume (Year): (2000)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Nora Lustig, 2000. "Crises and the Poor: Socially Responsible Macroeconomics," IDB Publications 29338, Inter-American Development Bank.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paxson, C.H., 1991.
"Consumption And Income Seasonality In Thailand,"
150, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Bourguignon, François & Lambert, Sylvie & Suwa Eisenmann, Akiko, 1996.
"Distribution of Export Price Risk in a Developing Country,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1482, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bourguignon, F. & Lambert, S. & Suwa-Eisenmann, A., 1996. "Distribution of Export Price Risk in a Developing Country," DELTA Working Papers 96-11, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Jacoby, Hanan G & Skoufias, Emmanuel, 1997. "Risk, Financial Markets, and Human Capital in a Developing Country," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(3), pages 311-35, July.
- Robert M. Townsend, .
"Risk and Insurance in Village India,"
University of Chicago - Population Research Center
91-3a, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- repec:fth:inadeb:402 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ravi Kanbur, S. M., 1987.
"Structural adjustment, macroeconomic adjustment and poverty: A methodology for analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 15(12), pages 1515-1526, December.
- Kanbur, Ravi, 1986. "Structural Adjustment, Macroeconomic Adjustment and Poverty: A Methodology for Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 132, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christina D. Romer & David H. Romer, 1998.
"Monetary policy and the well-being of the poor,"
Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole,
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 159-201.
- Lokshin, Michael M., 1999.
"Household childcare choices and women's work behavior in Russia,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2206, The World Bank.
- Michael Lokshin, 2004. "Household Childcare Choices and Women’s Work Behavior in Russia," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 39(4).
- Jonathan Morduch, 1995.
"Income Smoothing and Consumption Smoothing,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 103-114, Summer.
- Morduch, J., 1995. "Income Smoothing and Consumption Smoothing," Papers 512, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- Jonathan Morduch, 1995. "Income Smoothing and Consumption Smoothing," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1727, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Suzanne Duryea, 1998. "Children's Advancement Through School in Brazil: The Role of Transitory Shocks to Household Income," Research Department Publications 4124, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Newman, J. & Jorgensen, S. & Pradhan, M., 1991. "Workers'benefits from Bolivia's emergency social fund," Papers 77, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Dr Donald Brash, 1999. "Future exchange rate regimes for developing East Asia: exploring the policy options," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 62, September.
- Eduardo Fernández-Arias & Ricardo Hausmann, 1999. "International Initiatives to Bring Stability to Financial Integration," Research Department Publications 4174, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1998. "Capital Inflows into Latin America: A Stop-Go Story?," NBER Working Papers 6441, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen & Ricardo Hausmann, 1999.
"Exchange Rates and Financial Fragility,"
NBER Working Papers
7418, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen & Ricardo Hausmann, 1999. "Exchange rates and financial fragility," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 329-368.
- Chiu, W. Henry & Madden, Paul, 1998. "Burglary and income inequality," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 123-141, July.
- Behrman, Jere R, 1988. "Intrahousehold Allocation of Nutrients in Rural India: Are Boys Favored? Do Parents Exhibit Inequality Aversion?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 40(1), pages 32-54, March.
- Lipton, Michael & Ravallion, Martin, 1995.
"Poverty and policy,"
Handbook of Development Economics,
in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 41, pages 2551-2657
- Binder, Melissa, 1999. "Schooling indicators during Mexico's "Lost decade"," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 183-199, April.
- Rosenzweig, Mark R. & Wolpin, Kenneth I., 1989.
"Credit Market Constraints, Consumption Smoothing and the Accumulation of Durable Production Assets in Low-Income Countries: Investments in Bullocks in India,"
7487, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Rosenzweig, Mark R & Wolpin, Kenneth I, 1993. "Credit Market Constraints, Consumption Smoothing, and the Accumulation of Durable Production Assets in Low-Income Countries: Investment in Bullocks in India," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(2), pages 223-44, April.
- Lustig, N. & Mcleod, D., 1996. "Minimum Wages and Poverty in Developing Countries : Some Empirical Evidence," Papers 125, Brookings Institution - Working Papers.
- Sebastian Edwards, 2000.
"Capital Flows, Real Exchange Rates, and Capital Controls: Some Latin American Experiences,"
in: Capital Flows and the Emerging Economies: Theory, Evidence, and Controversies, pages 197-246
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1998. "Capital Flows, Real Exchange Rates, and Capital Controls: Some Latin American Experiences," NBER Working Papers 6800, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Coate, Stephen & Ravallion, Martin, 1993. "Reciprocity without commitment : Characterization and performance of informal insurance arrangements," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 1-24, February.
- repec:idb:brikps:6454 is not listed on IDEAS
- Eliana Cardoso, 1992. "Inflation and Poverty," NBER Working Papers 4006, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:idb:brikps:4128 is not listed on IDEAS
- Suzanne Duryea & Jere R. Behrman & Miguel Székely, 1999. "Schooling Investments and Macroeconomic Conditions: A Micro-Macro Investigation for Latin America and the Caribbean," Research Department Publications 4184, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- de Janvry, Alain & Fargeix, Andre & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 1991. "Political economy of stabilization programs: Feasibility, growth, and welfare," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 317-345.
- Ferreira, Francisco & Prennushi, Giovanna & Ravallion, Martin, 1999. "Protecting the poor from macroeconomic shocks," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2160, The World Bank.
- repec:fth:inadeb:301 is not listed on IDEAS
- Flug, Karnit & Spilimbergo, Antonio & Wachtenheim, Erik, 1998.
"Investment in education: do economic volatility and credit constraints matter?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 465-481, April.
- Karnit Flug & Antonio Spilimbergo & Erik Wachtenheim, 1996. "Investment in Education: Do Economic Volatility and Credit Constraints Matter?," Research Department Publications 4000, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Sebastian Edwards & Miguel A. Savastano, 1999. "Exchange Rates in Emerging Economies: What Do We Know? What Do We Need to Know?," NBER Working Papers 7228, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Claessens, Stijn & Varangis, Panos & DEC, 1994. "Oil price instability, hedging, and an oil stabilization fund : the case of Venezuela," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1290, The World Bank.
- Montiel, Peter & Reinhart, Carmen M., 1999. "Do capital controls and macroeconomic policies influence the volume and composition of capital flows? Evidence from the 1990s," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 619-635, August.
- repec:idb:brikps:5698 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ricardo Hausmann & Michael Gavin & Carmen Pagés-Serra & Ernesto H. Stein, 1999. "Financial Turmoil and Choice of Exchange Rate Regime," Research Department Publications 4170, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Foster, Andrew D, 1995. "Prices, Credit Markets and Child Growth in Low-Income Rural Areas," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(430), pages 551-70, May.
- Chiu, W Henry, 1998. "Income Inequality, Human Capital Accumulation and Economic Performance," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(446), pages 44-59, January.
- Ruthanne Deutsch, 1998. "How Early Childhood Interventions Can Reduce Inequality: An Overview of Recent Findings," IDB Publications 50998, Inter-American Development Bank.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carolina Prada Gutiérrez).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.