NAFTA and Manufacturing Productivity in Mexico
AbstractUsing a panel of Mexican manufacturing plants over the period 1993-1999, I estimate total factor productivity (TFP) at the plant level and study its evolution in the face of trade and investment liberalization under the North American Free Trade Agreement. I implement the Olley-Pakes (1996) algorithm on the data to correct for simultaneity and sample selection problems a¤ecting OLS estimates. I then relate the evolution of TFP over the period to tariff levels in Mexico and the United States, import penetration, exporting activities, imported inputs use and foreign capital participation. I …nd that increased import competition and access to the U.S. market have had a positive impact on TFP. Foreign capital also has had a positive impact on TFP, but intra-industry spillovers are negative. Last, there is no clear evidence regarding the impact from the use of imported inputs or from exporting operations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION in its journal Journal of LACEA Economia.
Volume (Year): (2003)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Orlando Gracia & Hernando Zuleta, 2005.
"The Free Trade Agreement between Colombia and USA: What can happen to Colombia?,"
DEGIT Conference Papers
c010_023, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Hernando Zuleta & Orlando Gracia, 2004. "The Free Trade Agreement between Colombia and USA: What can happen to Colombia?," INVESTIGACIÃN ECONÃMICA EN COLOMBIA 003594, FUNDACIÓN PONDO.
- Iacovone, Leonardo, 2012.
"The better you are the stronger it makes you: Evidence on the asymmetric impact of liberalization,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 474-485.
- Iacovone, Leonardo, 2009. "The better you are the stronger it makes you : evidence on the asymmetric impact of liberalization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4930, The World Bank.
- François Bourguignon & Maurizio Bussolo & Luiz A. Pereira da Silva, 2008. "The Impact of Macroeconomic Policies on Poverty and Income Distribution : Macro-Micro Evaluation Techniques and Tools," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6586, March.
- Octavio Escobar, 2011. "The location pattern of FDI in Mexico after NAFTA," ERSA conference papers ersa10p804, European Regional Science Association.
- Juan Carlos Chávez & Felipe J. Fonseca, 2012. "Technical and Structural Efficiency in Mexican Manufacturing: A Regional Approach," Working Papers 2012-03, Banco de México.
- John Haltiwanger & Adriana Kugler & Maurice Kugler & Alejandro Micco & Carmen Pages, 2004.
"Effects of tariffs and real exchange rates on job reallocation: evidence from Latin America,"
Journal of Economic Policy Reform,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(4), pages 191-208.
- Haltiwanger, John & Kugler, Adriana & Kugler, Maurice & Micco, Alejandro & PagÃ©s, Carmen, 2004. "Effects of tariffs and real exchange rates on job reallocation: evidence from Latin America," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 0410, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- De Hoyos, Rafael E. & Iacovone, Leonardo, 2011.
"Economic performance under NAFTA : a firm-level analysis of the trade-productivity linkages,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5661, The World Bank.
- De Hoyos, Rafael E. & Iacovone, Leonardo, 2013. "Economic Performance under NAFTA: A Firm-Level Analysis of the Trade-productivity Linkages," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 180-193.
- Carlos Felipe Jaramillo & Daniel Lederman & Maurizio Bussolo & David Gould & Andrew Mason, 2006. "Challenges of CAFTA : Maximizing the Benefits for Central America," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7127, March.
- Kosteas, Vasilios D., 2008. "Trade Protection and Capital Imports in the Mexican Manufacturing Sector," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 2822-2837, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carolina Prada Gutiérrez).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.